Senior Director of Engineering
WHAT WE DO MATTERS:
Here at XO Group, we truly believe in doing work that matters. Through our family of brands—The Knot, The Nest, The Bump, GigMasters, and How He Asked—we inspire, inform, and cheer on our community as they move through life’s most amazing milestones. From the proposal, to creating a home and starting a family together, we’re there for every step of the journey. Our couples and business partners depend on us. They're all in. So are we.
ABOUT THE ROLE AND OUR TEAM:
The Planning and Inspiration zone is responsible for a variety of products that help couples articulate their wedding vision, find the perfect wedding dress, guide them through the entire wedding planning process and create a personalized wedding day timeline.
You will have the opportunity to lead several dynamic and agile engineering teams tackling challenging technical problems on web and native mobile.
You will be joining a high-performing team with lean product and startup experience. Our product and engineering teams work closely together on every phase of product development from research and inception to release and maintenance.
As the senior engineering leader for the Planning and Inspiration Zone, you will be responsible for ensuring high quality engineering execution through mentoring and managing several engineering teams, hands-on involvement in technical and product discussions, and collaborating with other functional leaders (product, marketing, business development, exec) to set the strategy for the zone.
Out technology stack is Ruby/Rails. Node.js, React, iOS/Swift, Mongo DB, PostgreSQL, AWS.
- Recruit, retain, and manage multiple teams of talented engineers and engineering managers
- Hold your own in technical and architectural discussions, be a subject matter expert, and have strategic influence
- Help team members develop new skills and advance their careers
- Collaborate with product and design partners to define and influence broader product strategy
- Evaluate buy vs build and negotiate contracts with vendors
- Lead by example, by setting the right context, and by helping teammates do their best work
- Encourage a healthy work environment that’s both supportive and challenging
- Lead and support new technology initiatives that influence the entire XO Engineering organization (200+ engineers)
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Proven track record of leading productive and happy engineering teams
- Excited about solving challenging problems of all kinds (technical, product, business, or organizational)
- Strong technical experience and ability to engage in architecture and product discussions
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and retain top-tier engineering talent
- Track record of pragmatic decision making based on business needs
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excitement to work in a diverse and multicultural office setting
- Iterative mindset
WHAT WE LOVE ABOUT YOU:
- You love our users. You deeply understand our users and put them at the center of everything you do. You aim to serve and delight them every day.
- You do the right thing. You are respectful and act with the highest integrity. If you see something that isn’t right, you say something.
- You debate it. You ask questions to understand a perspective and are comfortable respectfully challenging assumptions. You are not turned off by constructive conflict to get to the right answer.
- You own your outcomes. You set clear ambitious goals. You anticipate obstacles, persevere, and are accountable for your commitments.
- You make fast decisions. You are an effective and timely communicator. You understand how to collaborate, compromise, and escalate when needed.
- You get better every day. You welcome the gift of feedback. You never settle in your quest to grow and develop. By being here, you make our company stronger.
WHAT YOU LOVE ABOUT US:
You’ll hear a lot about culture and perks from other companies, but we like to think of it as the XO way of life. From unlimited vacation and generous parental leave benefits, to free snacks and Thirsty Thursdays, we believe in happiness above all else—in and out of the office.
Keywords: "software engineer", software engineering, ruby, react, node, aws, "ruby on rails", rails, software engineer, software, engineer
See Inside the Office of XO Group
XO Group is a premier consumer Internet and media company devoted to weddings, pregnancy, and everything in-between. Its flagship brand, The Knot, guides couples through the wedding planning process, while its newlywed brands, The Nest and The Bump, provide inspiration for everyone’s post-wedding adventures. Through its trusted voice, mobile-first applications, and powerful media channels, XO Group empowers couples to navigate and enjoy life's biggest moments.
Back to top