Head of User Research
WHAT WE DO MATTERS:
Here at XO Group, we truly believe in doing work that matters. Through our family of brands—The Knot, The Nest, The Bump, GigMasters, and How He Asked—we inspire, inform, and cheer on our community as they move through life’s most amazing milestones. From the proposal, to creating a home and starting a family together, we’re there for every step of the journey. Our couples and business partners depend on us. They're all in. So are we.
ABOUT THE HEAD OF USER RESEARCH ROLE AND OUR TEAM:
User research is critical at XO Group because our users - brides, newlyweds, and parents - are working toward meaningful milestones for the first time and need our products to help them solve real problems. Our user research work relies on mixed methods to helps us understand the people who use our products, providing insights to drive product direction and strategy. We're seeking an analytical and empathetic Head of User Research to represent user research across our org, lead our team of user researchers, and help couples plan the most important moments of their lives. We are looking for people that can take a human-centered approach to designing studies that provide an understanding of how people's attitudes, beliefs, or stated needs relate to their actions or behaviors.
The right candidates will be a strong communicator and passionate leader with a background in behavioral data analysis, experimental and survey research, product design, and statistics.
- Work closely with executives and product teams to identify research questions.
- Be a thought leader in user research, while advocating for our users.
- Lead, hire, and train a team of world-class user researchers.
- Design and execute studies that uncover user behavior and attitudes, using the right methodology for the questions at hand.
- Generate, communicate, and present insights that shape how product teams think about product strategy.
- Work closely with product design to map our users’ journey, conduct design sprints & studios, and test new products.
- Educate the product team on user research best practices.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- A passion for understanding user behaviour, using any available methods
- Degree in human-computer interaction, psychology, sociology, information science, computer science, economics, or a related field
- 5+ years experience in user research at a consumer-focused product company
- 2+ years experience managing user researchers
- Extensive knowledge of user research methods
- Experience answering meaningful and impactful consumer product questions using research
- Experience communicating analysis and results to any audience
- Detail oriented and self motivated to work independently on a variety of tasks
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills with a knack for storytelling
WHAT WE LOVE ABOUT YOU:
- You love our users. You deeply understand our users and put them at the center of everything you do. You aim to serve and delight them every day.
- You do the right thing. You are respectful and act with the highest integrity. If you see something that isn’t right, you say something.
- You debate it. You ask questions to understand a perspective and are comfortable respectfully challenging assumptions. You are not turned off by constructive conflict to get to the right answer.
- You own your outcomes. You set clear ambitious goals. You anticipate obstacles, persevere, and are accountable for your commitments.
- You make fast decisions. You are an effective and timely communicator. You understand how to collaborate, compromise, and escalate when needed.
- You get better every day. You welcome the gift of feedback. You never settle in your quest to grow and develop. By being here, you make our company stronger.
WHAT YOU LOVE ABOUT US:
You’ll hear a lot about culture and perks from other companies, but we like to think of it as the XO way of life. From unlimited vacation and generous parental leave benefits, to free snacks and Thirsty Thursdays, we believe in happiness above all else—in and out of the office.
Back to top