Social Media Manager - Jacksonville, FL
The Wounded Warrior Project (WWP) Social Media Manager oversees social media communications and organizational messaging for WWP social media platforms, leveraging social media to communicate and engage with online communities and drive organizational goals and messaging. The Social Media Manager manages the social media team as they respond to respond to questions and concerns expressed on social media platforms by the public, wounded service members, partners, and donors.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage social media communications staff members, mentoring them and developing their skills and abilities. Promote a supportive working environment where employees are encouraged to proactively address issues and solve problems. Manage both team and individual performance to achieve goals.
- Monitor, moderate, interact with, and answer concerns expressed on various social media platforms. Support the social media team as they respond to questions and concerns raised on social media platforms.
- Manage the organization’s social media channels, e.g., Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+, and more. Manage the communication of organizational messaging, news, and priorities by leveraging influencers through social media messaging.
- Identify opportunities for public involvement and awareness of WWP issues, WWP policy advocacy initiatives, WWP events, and trending veterans’ topics. Design campaign plans for organizational messaging initiatives.
- Review advertising and promotional programs and evaluate for compatibility with social media and digital marketing efforts.
- Manage social media activities for strategic partnerships, community integration, third-party events, and fundraisers. Report on and initiate interest in WWP programs and events by producing content with current live reporting.
- Monitor emerging internet technologies. Identify opportunities to utilize emerging platforms to improve efficiencies. Develop strategies to introduce new methods to increase audience outreach and following, and further develop relationships with wounded service members, family members, and caregivers to increase their engagement in WWP programs.
- Manage relationships with third-party vendors handling social media management tools.
- Recommend best practices in social media to optimize engagements and traffic, and maximize Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
- Oversee preparation of updated information for leadership briefing kits, fact sheets, and subject-matter-expert biographies.
- Observe trending topics and news of significant interest such as veteran’s and non-profit industry issues, and report to leadership.
- Establish effective working relationships and work collaboratively with WWP teammates including regional program leadership and staff. Collaborate to ensure awareness of upcoming regional program events and needs.
- Compile business analytics on social media activities and report campaign performance, engagement, sentiment, overall share of voice, and emerging content themes. Identify and track trends to evaluate the effectiveness of social media communications. Prepare reports with performance metrics to improve effectiveness of communications and program participation.
- Manage requests for endorsements and information about WWP, its executives, experts, and warriors.
- Effectively communicate the WWP mission, vision, and values, and the importance of WWP programs in public forums, events, and public awareness campaigns.
- Participate in process improvement activities and on project teams as appropriate.
- Participate in strategic planning activities. Participate in developing and managing the department budget.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- High energy level. Self-starter; willing to take initiative.
- Demonstrated success leading, coaching, and mentoring teams including remote staff. Proven management skills that foster an open dialog with staff. Team-oriented, with a desire to engage with others on day-to-day activities.
- Strong expertise with working knowledge of social media platforms and channels.
- Demonstrated success and expertise leveraging social media to communicate with and engage with online communicators, and drive organizational messaging and goals.
- Demonstrated ability to create content in the organization’s voice. Demonstrated working knowledge of communication principles, including Associated Press (AP) style.
- Demonstrated ability to manage crisis communications.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of data analytics, performance metrics, and trends analysis.
- Proficient using Microsoft Office, e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Proficient using social media channels, e.g., Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills. Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain professional relationships, and interact effectively with diverse individuals to build effective working relationships. Demonstrated emotional intelligence. Ability to respond to sensitive matters with diplomacy and empathy.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish credibility, be decisive, influence others, and influence change.
- Strong presentation skills. Confident communicator with demonstrated ability to present information effectively.
- Strong organizational and time management skills. Effectively complete assignments and meet deadlines.
- Strong project management skills. Demonstrated ability to effectively and efficiently manage multiple projects.
- Demonstrated understanding of budget management.
- Unequivocal commitment to the highest standards of personal and business ethics and conduct.
- Mission-driven, guided by core values, and a pleasure to work with.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, marketing, communication, journalism, or related field. Equivalent combination of education, experience, training, or certification may be considered in lieu of degree.
- Five years of public relations, marketing, e-communications, communications, or journalism experience.
- Five years of experience managing social media communications.
- Three years of staff management experience. Five years of experience successfully performing in a WWP position, e.g., WWP social media specialist, or similar WWP experience in communications, public relations, or marketing, may be substituted for three years of staff management experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, marketing, communication, or journalism.
- Seven years of public relations, marketing, e-communications, communications, or journalism experience.
- Five years of experience managing social media communications.
- Five years of staff management experience, including managing virtual, remote, widely-dispersed staff.
- Five years of experience using Salesforce Marketing Cloud or similar email distribution system.
- Five years of experience using customer relations management (CRM) software.
- Two years of project management experience.
Certifications & Licensure Requirements
- Valid state-issued driver’s license.
Back to top