Career Transition Specialist - Information Technology - Minneapolis, MN
The Wounded Warrior Project (WWP) Warriors to Work Specialist (Career Transition Specialist) provides career transition guidance to warriors and helps prepare them to obtain gainful employment and meaningful career opportunities, with the objective of helping these wounded service members secure rewarding and successful careers leading to long-term financial security and financial wellness for themselves and their families.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide services to warriors and their family members for career development including resume and cover letter building, effective interviewing skills, networking, managing expectations, job placement, and career mentoring.
- Overcome barriers to employment by helping warriors translate their military skillsets, develop their skills, and establish a personal brand, leading to gainful, meaningful employment.
- Support employers by connecting them with qualified candidates. Develop long-lasting relationships with employers at the local level to ensure high quality, responsive service delivery.
- Provide employers with information and education about service-connected injuries and with military skills translation. Facilitate the establishment of best practices for veteran hiring.
- Develop and host employment workshops for warriors, e.g. career guidance, skills development, and employer hiring events. Conduct web-based online training and presentations as appropriate.
- Collaborate with WWP program teammates to increase awareness of Warriors to Work programs and services.
- Establish strong professional relationships with employers, veteran service organizations (VSOs), community organizations, local military installations, and with vocational training, certification, and placement organizations. Effectively communicate the WWP mission, vision, and values, and the importance of WWP programs, specifically the Warriors to Work program.
- Track and report all career-related interactions and outcomes with warriors and their family members using Salesforce.
- Conduct periodic post-job placement check-ins with employers, warriors, and family members providing support as appropriate to help ensure sustained employment.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated understanding of relationship management and partnering. Well-developed interpersonal skills to effectively interact with diverse individuals.
- Strong networking skills to build working relationships with community leaders including employers, VSOs, military, and vocational and training organizations.
- High energy level. Self- starter; willing to take initiative.
- Effective organizational and time management skills. Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple tasks, assignments, and priorities within deadlines.
- Effective presentation and public speaking skills. Effective group facilitation skills. Confident communicator with demonstrated ability to present information effectively to large audiences, small groups, and individuals.
- Demonstrated success leading, coaching, and mentoring individuals. Team-oriented with a desire to engage with others on day-to-day activities.
- Well-developed critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to influence others and influence change.
- Ability to establish credibility and be decisive.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Unequivocal commitment to the highest standards of personal and business ethics and conduct.
- Mission-driven, guided by core values, and a pleasure to work with.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business, or a related field. An equivalent combination of applicable education, training, certification, and experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
- Five years of experience providing full-cycle recruiting, job development, or career coaching.
- Three years of experience using Microsoft Office, e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources or business management.
- Two years of business-related experience.
Certifications & Licensure Requirements
- Valid state-issued driver’s license.
- Professional certification in human resources, e.g., PHR.
Back to top