Alumni Manager - San Diego, CA
- San Diego, CA
The Wounded Warrior Project (WWP) Alumni Manager manages the WWP Alumni team and the outreach and engagement events and activities for an assigned local or regional area to connect, serve, and empower wounded service members and their families. The Alumni Manager serves as the designated local WWP community representative to develop relationships and partnerships and inspire support for WWP programs and services.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage a team of local and remote WWP Alumni team members, mentoring and developing their skills and abilities, to effectively deliver outreach and engagement activities to wounded warriors and their families.
- Develop, coordinate, plan, and execute local and regional events and activities for Alumni and their families to attend and participate, and to connect with other Alumni.
- Coordinate outreach to wounded warriors and family members to connect with them, obtain their support, and gain their attendance at local and regional events. Travel in support of outreach needs as appropriate.
- Identify community events and activities in the local and regional area to provide opportunities for warrior participation and connection.
- Regularly communicate and network with wounded warriors, serving as a resource and mentor.
- Locate wounded warriors who have not had contact with WWP and introduce WWP’s programs and services.
- Establish effective working relationships and work collaboratively with WWP teammates across the country, and with external resources, e.g., donors, local and regional community resources, and resources in medical treatment facilities (MTFs).
- Serve as the point of contact and the designated local WWP representative for an assigned local or regional area. Attend Alumni events, media opportunities, recreational events, and fundraising events. Manage grassroots efforts and support campaigns as appropriate.
- Develop community support for WWP. Present WWP vision and values to the community, communicating the benefits of WWP programs and services, and inspire them to become involved with and support the WWP vision.
- Develop and manage the office/department budget, ensuring proper expense controls and accurate records. Identify opportunities for Gifts-in-Kind and discounts.
- Maintain current and accurate data in WWP intranet electronic tracking systems, e.g., SalesForce.
- Collect and report results and performance metrics for Alumni events and activities.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- High energy level. Self-starter; willing to take initiative.
- Demonstrated success leading, coaching, and mentoring teams. Proven management skills that foster an open dialog with staff. Team-oriented and a desire to engage with others on day-to-day activities.
- Demonstrated ability to establish credibility, be decisive, influence others, and influence change.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong presentation skills. Confident communicator with demonstrated ability to present information effectively to large audiences, small groups, and individuals.
- Demonstrated understanding of relationship management and partnering. Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain professional relationships.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills. Ability to interact effectively with diverse individuals and build effective working relationships. Demonstrated emotional intelligence. Ability to respond to sensitive matters with diplomacy and empathy.
- Demonstrated ability to build rapport with veterans and their families.
- Demonstrated understanding of military rank systems and of the organizational structure of each of the Armed Services. Knowledge of veteran benefits and military benefits.
- Strong organizational and time management skills. Effectively complete assignments and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated understanding of budget management and fiduciary oversight principles.
- Ability and dedication to travel in support of WWP programs and services outreach.
- Unequivocal commitment to the highest standards of personal and business ethics and conduct.
- Mission-driven, guided by core values, and a pleasure to work with.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree. Equivalent combination of education and applicable military experience, training, or certification may be considered in lieu of degree
- Four years of experience developing and building relationships and partnerships, e.g. with military organizations, veteran’s associations, community partnerships, or corporate relationships.
- Three years of staff management experience. Three years of experience successfully performing in a WWP programmatic position, e.g., Outreach Specialist, may be substituted for three years of staff management experience.
- Four years of experience working with military treatment facilities, veteran’s administration facilities, or military medical separation/ retirement processes.
- Two years of experience leading geographically dispersed teams.
- Two years of experience planning events or community activities.
- One year of experience managing operating budgets.
Certifications & Licensure Requirements
- Valid United States driver’s license required
Back to top