Adaptive Sports Manager - Colorado Springs, CO / Chicago, IL / Jacksonville, FL / San Antonio, TX / San Diego, CA / Tampa, FL
The Wounded Warrior Project (WWP) Adaptive Sports Manager develops, plans, manages, and executes adaptive sports programming and events for a geographic area. The Adaptive Sports Manager establishes and manages community and adaptive sports association relationships, identifies warrior needs, and matches those needs with WWP program offerings, events, activities, and services.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Identify and develop methods to establish connections with warriors and WWP, and connections between individual warriors to increase participation in sponsored events and activities.
- Develop adaptive sports programming strategies to address identified warrior needs.
- Manage adaptive sports programming and events.
- Manage regional staff.
- Establish and maintain community relationships to build an ecosystem of adaptive sports support for warriors within their geographic area.
- Travel to adaptive sports events and work with staff to ensure successful event execution.
- Interact with warriors at events to share experiences.
- Establish and maintain relationships with major adaptive sports associations and national (U.S.A) governing bodies, e.g., DSUSA, Warrior Games, Invictus Games, VA Adaptive Sports (Winter & Summer Clinics), National Veterans Wheelchair Games, US Paralympics, Wheelchair Basketball, Quad Rugby, Wheelchair Softball, Hand cycling, Wheelchair Tennis.
- Identify and recommend to WWP management new programs and resources and programs enhancement or modification.
- Collaborate with other WWP departments to ensure that adaptive sports program issues are successfully communicated, coordinated and/or resolved.
- Manage budget for team, e.g., travel, events, swag.
- Manage the tracking and reporting of key performance indicators for regional staff in Salesforce system.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of adapted sports program design, implementation, management, and programming landscape at the local, regional, and national level.
- Highly motivated, passionate, creative team player.
- Strong collaboration and relationship building skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to effectively handle multiple priorities while maintaining a strong attention to detail in a fast-paced environment.
- Professional presence and demeanor.
- Ability to communicate with diverse personalities in a tactful, mature, flexible manner.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot, identify viable options and problem-solve using excellent reasoning abilities and demonstrating sound judgment.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with individuals in leadership and key community roles.
- Skill and ease while speaking in public and serving as a representative for the organization.
- Proven leadership abilities, preferably with experience supervising remote subordinates, including ability to lead, motivate, coach, and educate staff members.
- Computer proficiency and technical skills using Microsoft Office, e.g., Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint.
- Mission-driven, guided by core values, and a pleasure to work with.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree
- Five years’ experience with adaptive sports program design, implementation, and management
- Two years’ experience in relationship-building with military organizations, veteran’s associations, Paralympics, or other non-profit, city or state-run adaptive sports programs
- Three years’ staff management experience
- Must be able to travel between 25% - 50% of the time including overnight travel
- Bachelor’s degree in recreation therapy, exercise science, health management, or related field
- Adaptive Sports participation and/or competition experience
- Military background or experience working with veterans
- Experience with Salesforce
Certifications & Licensure
Meet Some of Wounded Warrior Project's Employees
Alumni Deputy Director
Brian works with the Alumni Team that helps wounded warriors transition back into everyday life. Brian’s role entails visiting warriors at their hospital bedsides, partnering with outside organizations, and planning connection events.
Back to top