Senior Program Officer, Seafood Finance - 17020
World Wildlife Fund (WWF), the world’s leading conservation organization, seeks a Senior Program Officer, Seafood Finance based in either New York City or Washington, DC. This person will work with the Vice President, International Finance in implementing a broad program related to finance for WWF-US focused on the intersection of commodities that are key to transforming markets and finance flows globally, including debt and equity investments from commercial banks, governments, development finance institutions, private equity, asset management funds, etc.
The Senior Program Officer will work with the VP International Finance to develop WWF’s Seafood Finance strategy and, working with the VP and other key seafood staff, lead the execution of that strategy. This will include: (1) engaging multi-stakeholder groups of financial institutions (public and private) that are active in global seafood finance; (2) working closely with external partners, consultants and researchers to develop a deep understanding of seafood finance along the value chain of six priority seafood commodities and capture this knowledge for broad dissemination; (3) working with partners in the development of new financial analytic tools that promote more responsible production and trade of seafood by focusing on seafood financial value chains; (4) working closely with partners and financial institutions to develop innovative financial mechanisms that will increase sustainable practices in Seafood Finance and (5) supporting WWF’s global work in seafood finance across key international locations (e.g. Southeast Asia, North America, Europe, etc.)
- With the VP, International Finance, develop and implement strategy for Seafood Finance. Lead assigned components, activities, and projects within the overall strategy against milestones.
- Assist in monitoring, evaluating, budgeting and reporting of project performance against planned objectives and deliverables and milestones, working effectively with appropriate seafood program staff, accountants, and donors.
- Participate in an externally focused strategy on Seafood Finance, drive awareness, commitments, and actions from public and private financial institutions, and communicate these developments back upon the target audience – through written research, external presentations, web, and social media.
- Help manage critical relationships with donors, financial institutions, and financial institution platforms to ensure successful delivery of results. Work with internal and external partners towards global coordination on seafood finance activities across investors and banks. Advise regional platforms and regulatory engagements
- Work closely with other offices within the WWF Network (e.g. WWF- Thailand, WWF-Indonesia, WWF-Vietnam and various WWF offices in the EU) to achieve a leadership position for WWF on sustainable commodities finance in those markets.
- Identify and manage opportunities for WWF to participate in innovative financial transactions for seafood finance (e.g. green bonds, fishery recapitalizations, etc.).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field (e.g. business, economics, environmental studies) and at least six years relevant professional experience in private finance, consulting, environmental conservation and/or international development, including a minimum of two years of experience working within seafood (finance, consulting, government or industry). A Master’s degree can substitute for two years of experience.
- An ability to analyze sustainability issues and to communicate them effectively to financial institution partners – regarding seafood sustainability, oceans, ESG, illegality and soft commodity markets is required.
- Strong knowledge of, and professional experience in sustainable finance or commodity finance.
- Direct knowledge and experience working within at least one seafood market is necessary.
- Experience implementing programs or projects with diverse, cross-sector stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work in a networked environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication, and ability to facilitate multi-stakeholder conversations.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to analyze, prioritize, and complete work of high quality with minimal supervision.
- Motivated self-starter. Ability to work independently and with remote teams.
- Please visit our Careers Page, job#17020, to submit an online application including resume and cover letter
- Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone
As an EOE/AA employer, WWF will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Back to top