Senior Software (PHP) Developer
Hello. We’re World First and we’re a bit different from the rest…
We’re not your typical financial services company. As a matter of fact, we pride ourselves in being different. We are the UK’s fastest growing foreign exchange specialist and we make moving money around the world faster, easier, safer and just all-round better.
We have awesome relationships with our thousands of customers, as well as with our suppliers, partners and colleagues. It is – and always has been – people first.
You’ll love our culture and passion, and we can’t wait to have you on board.
The PHP developers at World First build a wide range of applications that include our online foreign exchange (FX) trading platform, an API powering our mobile apps, a back office system for managing trades, making payments, handling compliance events, and a market automation platform. Our talented and innovative IT team has helped the company continue to be one of the fastest growing UK foreign exchange specialists.
On all teams we have both new and existing projects, meaning you won't be writing your code once and forgetting about it; you'll continue to maintain it, as will the rest of the team. This makes us careful about how we build things. As a senior developer, we would want you to be able to mentor the team to achieve greatness.
We expect the following foundational knowledge:
- Experience in object oriented PHP5 coding with proper design patterns (please don't mention singletons)
- At least one MVC framework (we currently use Zend, Symfony2, Silex and we are open to other framework experience)
- Version control, preferably distributed (e.g. git, which is what we use)
- Good working knowledge of the Linux CLI
- Full-stack development experience preferably, e.g. React
- SOA, API and microservices
- Test automation experience
Anything from the next list will help you knock our socks off:
- Domain driven design
- SOLID principles
- Message queues
- Are able to demonstrate proven experience in mentorship, acting as a mentor to the rest of the squad
- Experience of both challenging where there is a belief of better option and also accepting others views
- Are able to resolve conflicts of opinion with the squad, and further view
- Are able to communicate using both technical and non-technical language to share knowledge
- Have spent time in a team environment working in Agile (Scrum/Kanban)
- A relentless understanding that all squad output should benefit both user and the business
- An ability to rapidly and effectively understand and translate business requirements into technical solutions
- Proven skill in developing and managing maintainable code-bases
- Knowledge and experience of cross-browser issues
- Self-motivated with good organisational skills in order to work to challenging deadlines
- Experience of supporting, modifying and maintaining systems and code which was developed by others
What we offer:
- An excellent benefits package including annual performance-based bonus and health cover
- Free breakfast, fruits and hot drinks
- Relaxed dress code
Personal data collected will be used for recruitment purposes only.
Meet Some of World First's Employees
Lucy works alongside global marketplace sellers to help scale their businesses and enable them to move funds around the world through secure payment solutions that match individual needs.
Back to top