Senior Platform Engineer
Hello. We’re World First and we’re a bit different from the rest…
We’re not your typical financial services company. As a matter of fact, we pride ourselves in being different. We are the UK’s fastest growing foreign exchange specialist and we make moving money around the world faster, easier, safer and just all-round better.
We have awesome relationships with our thousands of customers, as well as with our suppliers, partners and colleagues. It is – and always has been – people first.
You’ll love our culture and passion, and we can’t wait to have you on board.
World First is a market-leading, award-winning, bank-beating, rapidly growing, fun-loving international payments company and we are looking to hire a Platform Engineer.
The Platform Engineering team at Worldfirst are responsible for the end to end health of our systems and services that are required to be available 24X7. Located in London and Hong Kong, the team works as one team, balancing local priorities and workload with a goal of standardising technology and methodology globally.
As a Platform Engineer at Worldfirst you will play a critical role in the delivery of our enterprise products and services to our large and growing global customer base as part of the Global Platform Engineering team.
You will join the Cloud Squad who are currently building the cloud-native future of World First. This Greenfield project will build a fully automated, highly available platform in AWS with a container-first mindset. As our monolithic applications are split in to smaller services, you'll be working with colleagues in Software Engineering, Product Management and Information Security to deploy those using standardised pipelines to the new platform. Once live, you'll be monitoring, improving and supporting the applications using tools such as New Relic and ELK.
This is an opportunity to work within an extremely dynamic environment and the role expects you to be efficient, engaging and flexible. You will have the opportunity to have a direct influence on day to day operations, driving automation and the transition of traditional infrastructure to the cloud.
If you are passionate about driving continuous improvement in a high volume, high impact environment we are offering a unique opportunity to develop your career as an integral part of our Platform Engineering team.
- Work with the Platform Engineering team to design, build and support the cloud-native future to enable the Worldfirst platforms to operate reliably 24X7.
- Ensure that the Worldfirst platforms are reliable and can scale rapidly to support growth in transaction volumes during periods of peak business. Limit or eliminate exposure to single points of failure
- Design and build infrastructure platforms with the highest levels of security. Respond swiftly to new and emerging security threats and vulnerabilities
- Create tools and automated workflow capabilities to enable our software engineers to test and promote code across the different environments and into production with maximum velocity
- Reduce or remove bottlenecks and inefficiencies in the Worldfirst ecosystem
- Automate manual or repetitive tasks in collaboration with Software Engineering and colleagues in Platform Engineering
- Improve the end to end health and performance of the platform ecosystem
- Work with Engineering and QA teams on solution design, capacity planning and performance
- Promote, document and implement systems infrastructure best practices
- Provide support during out of hours and on call as required by the business
- Want to expand your horizons.
Essential Technical Experience / Skills
- Enterprise Cloud Deployments (AWS is highly preferred)
- Infrastructure as Code - Terraform, CloudFormation etc. (Terraform Preferred)
- Configuration Management - Ansible, Puppet, Salt etc. (Ansible Preferred)
- Containerised Environments - Docker, Kubernetes, Hashicorp Nomad, AWS ECS etc.
- Git Source Control
- Linux Background
- Monitoring & Logging; New Relic / AppDynamics, ELK, CloudWatch etc.
Personal Experience / Skills:
- Agile Software Development (Scrum / Kanban)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
Nice to have:
- Networking & Routing; Traffic Management / Load Balancing etc.
- Exposure to Hashicorp Suite; Consul, Vault, Nomad, Packer, Terraform.
- Experience working in a regulated environment
- Basic salary: Dependent on experience
- Excellent benefits package including annual discretionary bonus, season ticket loan, company pension scheme, health cover, childcare vouchers, cycle-to-work, corporate gym and retail discounts
- A fun working environment based in central London
- Free breakfast, free massages, Friday beer fridge, bi-annual company parties, bi-annual team nights out, annual charity day and more!
Meet Some of World First's Employees
Private Client Dealer
Jessica aids private clients who need to transfer money across countries, making sure that WorldFirst helps secure the best rates possible that also beat bank pricing.
Back to top