Database DevOps Engineer
World First is a market-leading, award-winning, bank-beating, rapidly growing, fun-loving international payments company and we are looking to hire a MySQL Database DevOps Engineer.
The Platform Engineering team at WorldFirst are responsible for the end to end health of our systems and services that are required to be available 24x7. Located in London and Hong Kong, the team works as one team, balancing local priorities and workload with a goal of standardising technology and methodology globally.
Your main responsibilities will be leading the way in using database technologies. You will work closely with the colleagues in Software Engineering, Product Management and Architecture to understand priorities and prioritise your workload accordingly. You will strive to eliminate waste and improve performance using tools such as New Relic.
This is an opportunity to work within an extremely dynamic environment and the role expects you to be efficient and engaging. You will have the opportunity to have a direct influence on day to day operations, driving automation and transition of infrastructure to cloud service providers.
If you are passionate about driving continuous improvement in a high volume, high impact environment we are offering a unique opportunity to develop your career as an integral part of our Platform Engineering team.
- Probably be from a Techops/Devops background.
- Take ownership of our MySQL database infrastructure
- Support multiple databases of high complexity with multiple concurrent users, ensuring control, integrity and accessibility of the data
- Recommend and implement database solutions to support data integrity efforts alongside developing data access tools and techniques.
- Monitor transactions between application systems and the database identifying and improving inefficiencies
- Look to the future…. Make recommendations for the enhancement of the DB estate.
- Want to expand your horizons.
What you need to know:
- Experience with MySQL Replication, with both Master-Slave and Master-Master
- Ability to work cooperatively with software engineers and platform engineers.
- Exceptional problem-solving expertise and attention to detail
- Experience in Linux environment with understanding of the operating system.
- Linux shell scripting, perl, python
- Advanced knowledge and experience in physical/logical database design.
- Strong Install, configure, patching, and upgrading MySQL databases.
- Support operations for both development and production databases.
- Experience and success in automating administrative tasks
- Strong understanding of hardware performance, memory and I/O
- Advanced knowledge and experience in database security management
Nice to have:
- Experience of Git, Jira, New Relic
- AWS RDS
- Systems administration, security, networking or software development
- Basic salary: Dependant on experience
- Excellent benefits package including annual discretionary bonus, season ticket loan, company pension scheme, health cover, childcare vouchers, cycle-to-work, corporate gym and retail discounts
- A fun working environment based in central London
- Free breakfast, free massages, Friday beer fridge, tri-annual company parties, bi-annual team nights out, annual charity day and more!
Meet Some of World First's Employees
Private Client Dealer
Jessica aids private clients who need to transfer money across countries, making sure that WorldFirst helps secure the best rates possible that also beat bank pricing.
Back to top