Infrastructure Engineer (DevOps)
Infrastructure Engineer (DevOps) (New York, NY)
Who We Are:
Work Market boasts an impressive engineering team backed by successful and reputable investors such as Union Square Ventures, Spark Capital SoftBank Capital, Industry Ventures and Silicon Valley Bank. We recently received $20 million in Series C funding that is being reinvested back into hiring. We are looking for a Director of Engineering that can build the tools and workflows that allow our customers to be more efficient and productive in a competitive marketplace.
Work Market is the leading platform for freelance labor. Our freelance management platform is providing the biggest brands in the world and freelancing businesses, with a solution that allows both sides to manage an end-to-end contract engagement at scale. We are right in the middle of a rapidly growing freelance economy that will make up 50% of the workforce by 2020.
What We Do:
We enable clients with the ability to expand and contract their workforce based on market demands and allow them to stay relevant and efficient in a competitive marketplace. We provide access to on-demand subject matter experts that allow companies to be productive and efficient. We offer freelancers the ability to have a flexible work schedule and to be selective about their project engagements while also building their portfolio.
Our engineers build the tools and workflows that allow our customer to be more efficient and productive in a competitive marketplace. We are customer driven, our engineers work closely with the Product team to help define and articulate a vision for the Work Market platform. We focus on providing simple, elegant solutions to complex problems.
- Design, build, and maintain the infrastructure used by Work Market to serve our website and platform to the world
- Work closely with the engineering team to help build highly available, secure, and performant applications
- Troubleshoot production issues and lead blameless post-mortems to identify root causes
- Build internal tooling to empower your team and other groups to move faster and more efficiently
- Participate in oncall alongside developers and be available to work with our client/customer support teams if necessary
- Be a part of non-technical projects with other teams in the company to help meet our strategic objective
- Work with a fun and talented engineering team and move your career forward!
- Will bring interesting ideas for our quarterly hackathon!
- Be a part of a social squads and compete with other squads!
- Designed, deployed, and managed large cloud infrastructures such as AWS, GCE, etc.
- Excellent oral and written communication. Ability to convey ideas internally to co-workers as well as externally through meetups and talks.
- Solid understanding of Linux (Ubuntu or other distro) system administration, configuration and command-line tools. (Do you love/hate systemd and journalctl for example?)
- Ability to understand distributed software architectures and troubleshoot them from infrastructure through application layers.
- Experience with containers (Docker/rkt) and how they work internally. Deployment into a production environment using a scheduler (Mesos / Kubernetes / Nomad / ECS) a plus.
- Implemented a service discovery system using tools like Smartstack/Consul/EtcD for dynamic environments.
- Understand networking from data link through application layer.
- Familiarity with security and vulnerability management.
- Ability to write code/scripts using languages such as Python, Go, Ruby.
- Passion for technology and desire to push our tech stack forward.
- Be a team player and work closely with developers and operations.
- Understanding of standard internet protocols (Ethernet, ARP, IP, ICMP, UDP, TCP, SSL, DNS, HTTP, etc.)
- Experience with configuration management systems and concepts.
- Strong experience with version control software such as Git.
- Experience with Monitoring, Instrumentation and performance engineering.
Nice to Have:
- Experience in a "continuous delivery/deployment” environment and supporting tools.
- Experience with Java and JVM in a production environment.
- Experience with messaging patterns/architecture (ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ, AMQP, Kafka)
- Ability to configure and customize monitoring tools (Prometheus, Nagios, Zenoss, New Relic, Graphite, etc)
- Hands on experience with server build automation
- Deployed Overlay/Underlay networks to support multi-host docker environments
- Experience working at a startup!
Meet Some of Work Market's Employees
Joe’s role as front-end engineer at Work Market consists of day-to-day coding, along with bigger projects, like building the messaging feature with the Full Stack and Product Teams.
Back to top