The Analytics team at Wistia is building the data stack to enable the next generation of Wistia content analytics. This team, formed in early 2020, has big goals for the future with opportunity for huge business impact and lots of implementation autonomy to determine how we get there. We have a legacy analytics stack on life support, and we are rapidly building out new tools capable of obsoleting the legacy and enabling many new analytics product features. We are excited about our new stack, which uses Kafka and Flink for stream processing and Druid for storage and querying, but many challenges remain. In 2021, we will be adding new data sources, fixing performance issues as we scale up, building tools to reprocess bad time segments from archives, and porting features from the legacy stack to the new. We will remain fully distributed post COVID-19, with synchronized quarterly visits to our Cambridge, MA office.
You will be a great fit for this role if you know your way around data processing architectures and technologies. Ideally, you also have some specific exposure to realtime streaming services powering customer-facing analytics products. You are also a thoughtful leader able to build trust among your teammates, break down product goals into discrete tasks across the data stack, and ensure we’re optimizing our work for the long term reliability, maintenance, security, and overall health of our systems.
- Experience with our stack (Druid, Flink, Kafka, Scala) or with relevant comparable technologies (Kinesis, Pub/Sub, Spark, Samza, Storm, Apache Beam, Clickhouse, Kylin, etc.)
- Open to learning Elixir and Ruby as needed
- Comfort working in a remote team
- Comfort sharing the team on-call rotation
- Commitment to reinforcing a safe, inclusive work environment
- Collaboratively design and implement data processing pipelines and storage strategies that transform raw viewer behaviors to new analytics features for our customers
- Become intimately familiar with our processing stack, which may situationally involve performance tuning Flink or Druid cluster configuration, diagnosing and fixing JVM performance issues, and generally making our services reliable
- Build out the interface between our analytics backend stack and our Rails monolith and other customer-facing web apps
The Analytics team will be hiring multiple roles in the coming months, and we are additionally committed to seeking a diverse pool of candidates to join the team. If this team interests you but you’re not sure if you fit this role, please apply and summarize your interest in a cover letter! You can read more about our DE&I commitment and policies here.
When you apply, please link or upload any resources that will help us understand your background and your strengths.
We try to ensure Wistia is an inclusive and diverse place where everyone feels happy, fulfilled, respected, comfortable, and welcome. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We care a lot, so our benefits are actually benefits, not just the fun stuff like swag and snacks in the office (though we also have lots of those too!).
We know the biggest investment we can make is in our employees, so we provide:
- A great compensation package
- 401k with 3% company contribution, regardless of whether you contribute
- Profit Sharing!
- Flexible hours
- Fully paid healthcare coverage for you and your family (including dental) and a healthcare FSA
- Up to 16 weeks paid family leave
- Flexible vacation and sick leave
- Transportation subsidies
We have a beautiful office in Cambridge, MA, but we’re all working remotely (all 100+ of us) right now. Permanently remote applicants will be considered for this role (ideally within 3hrs time zone).