The Wirecutter is seeking a remote Web Producer to join our Production team, which executes the creation and maintenance of site content. Producers are responsible for publishing and updating reviews and other content, communicating across departments about deadlines, assets, and details, and maintaining various file management systems and databases, among other tasks.
Why you should apply:
As a Web Producer, you'll work within a small, self-directed team to meet publishing goals and standards. Production is integral to the Wirecutter's publishing process and success, and as a full-time team member you will be too. We approach web production as a craft to be honed and improved, and regularly review and adjust our processes and workflows to adapt to changing needs and expectations. No two weeks are the same for our team. If you take ownership of your work and hold it to a high quality standard, we'll work well together.
About The Wirecutter:
Founded five years ago by journalists fed up with the time and energy it takes to shop, The Wirecutter (which includes its sister site The Sweethome) developed a simpler approach to giving buying advice: just tell people exactly what to get in one single guide. The company's purpose: to help people find great things, quickly and easily. Through rigorous testing, research, reporting, and whatever means necessary, they create straightforward recommendations that save readers from unnecessary stress, time, and effort. We then monetize these guides by enabling our readers to easily purchase the products they are interested in.
The Wirecutter was recently acquired by, and is now a subsidiary of The New York Times Company. As part of the acquisition, the Times is investing in The Wirecutter to accelerate its business through editorial category expansion, development of more robust product features and unlocking new revenue streams.
- Prepare content to be published, by moving copy and other assets into WordPress (our content management system)
- Load and format syndications, reader newsletters and related content
- Process URLs and product information, perform basic image preparation and manipulation, and create charts, tables, and other reader-friendly media.
- Conduct quality assurance on links, media, and other assets on the site as needed
- Communicate often with stakeholders across various company departments to ensure that content published meets expectations
- Fix errors in published content, including resolving dead links and typographical errors
- Help test new site features as requested
- 1-2 years of experience editing and formatting content in a digital media organization
- At least 1 year of experience working remotely with a team
- Experience managing many different projects at once, with tools like Trello or Basecamp
- Experience with and interest in data visualization and/or interactive media
- Familiarity with publishing and editorial calendars
- Detail-oriented and deadline-driven personality
- Strong team-based work ethic
- Self-organization and motivation
- Effective communication skills
- Creativity in problem-solving
Culture and benefits at The New York Times Company and The Wirecutter:
- Though The Wirecutter has physical locations in both NYC and LA, the company promotes and encourages a remote workforce, so that our employees can work in flexible and comfortable ways.
- We are committed to career development, supported by a formal mentoring program as well as tuition reimbursement. The New York Times Company offers frequent panel discussions and talks by industry leaders (Sheryl Sandberg, Melinda Gates and Ta-Nehisi Coates are a few recent examples), that we encourage our employees to attend.
- We believe diversity fuels innovation and creativity, and we have a variety of employee groups and task forces across The New York Times Company and The Wirecutter dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace.
- We offer a generous parental leave policy, which was recently expanded in response to employee feedback. Birth mothers receive 16 weeks fully paid, adoptive parents and birth fathers receive 10 weeks also fully paid. Similarly, we offer competitive health and dental insurance, as well as 401k matching.
If you are an an active employee at The New York Times or any affiliates (excluding INYT), please do not apply here. Go to the Career Worklet on your Workday home page and View "Find Internal Jobs". Thank you!
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.
Meet Some of Wirecutter's Employees
As Editor-in-Chief of both Wirecutter and The Sweethome, Jacqui oversees editorial strategy for both publications. She’s responsible for determining the target audience for different pieces of content.
Back to top