Staff Writer, Appliances
Wirecutter is seeking an experienced reporter and writer to contribute deep dive, long form reviews of major appliances and home-care products. We are looking for tireless, fearless, curious people who are willing to focus and commit to find the answers our readers need.
As a staff writer, you will research, report, and write long-form guides to several appliance categories.
To do this, you'll rely mainly on research and old-school reporting. You'll need the courage and determination to track down and call up the world's top authorities on these topics, and the grit and attention to detail to catalog hundreds of products and their important specs and features in spreadsheets. Only you've done the deep reporting, the writing is easy.
Depending on the product categories, you'll usually do some hands-on product testing. For smaller products, you'll call in five to ten models, test them at home, and then send them back. You will not be expected to test major appliances at this time.
Along with your lead editor and our updates team, you'll refresh and improve your guides at least once per year, accounting for new products, changes in the category, and anything else that would make the guide better.
You'll also be expected to engage with our community of readers in comments and social media, for a couple hours per month. We have a friendly, smart community and it's important to regularly engage in a dialogue with our awesome readers.
You'll also have the opportunity to collaborate with lead editors and management to come up with new formats for new kinds of content
- 2 years minimum experience writing professionally. Experience doing original reporting and research for features or how-to guides is valuable. Experience covering products or services - especially involving hands-on or lab testing - is also valuable.
- Ability to be an empathetic representative for our readers, to understand what they're looking for when they shop, with the discernment and care needed to make recommendations as though you were spending your own money
- Must be comfortable using a telephone, email, Facebook and Twitter, your network, etc. to get in touch with product managers, professors, engineers, and experts.
- Must be comfortable gathering data and putting it into spreadsheets
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively and patiently process multiple rounds of thoughtful edits and resubmissions.
- Ability to communicate with a distributed team that works remotely across many time zones
- Natural, accessible voice
- Comfort with Google docs and spreadsheets
- Good connections with PR people a plus.
- Photography experience and access to a good camera a plus
- Experience writing about appliances and home care a plus
You'll work from our office at least three days per week, but may work remotely if product testing requires that you be at home.
Before applying, please read about who we are and how we work -if you are qualified, available, and interested, we look forward to hearing from you! Along with your cover letter, please answer the following question in 400 words or less. You can attach this in the " My Experience & Resume/CV" area of the application .
- How did you go about making your most recent major purchase? Did it live up to your expectations? Why or why not?
If you are an an active employee at The New York Times or any affiliates (excluding INYT), please do not apply here. Go to the Career Worklet on your Workday home page and View "Find Internal Jobs". Thank you!
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.
Meet Some of Wirecutter's Employees
Director of Data Analytics
Erik manages a team of analysts and data engineers who mine statistical data in an effort to continuously improve the company’s product reviews and shopping guides.
Back to top