Sr. Manager of SEO & Strategy
Wirecutter, the newly acquired product review and buying guide arm of The New York Times Company, is seeking a Senior Manager of SEO & Strategy. As Sr. Manager of SEO & Strategy, you will be a partner to Wirecutter's senior editorial and Product team, and tasked with optimizing our front end and back end for search, as well as developing frameworks for conducting research on search trends that will help inform our editorial decisions (i.e. new guide creation, publishing calendar and updates strategy). You will be responsible for working with Edit, Product, Revenue and Production to ensure we are adhering to best practices to ensure our content is optimally discoverable across all direct, search and syndicated channels.
Who are we?
Wirecutter is a list of the best products for people who don't want to take a lot of time figuring out what to get. It was founded in September 2011, and it became a part of The New York Times Company in October 2016. The Sweethome is our version of Wirecutter focused on home goods like bedsheets, blenders, duct tape, and screwdrivers. Everything we choose is an award winner, and we don't focus on presenting you with anything but the things we love.
The company's purpose: to help people find great things, quickly and easily. Through rigorous testing, research, reporting, and whatever means necessary, they create straightforward recommendations that save readers from unnecessary stress, time, and effort. We then monetize these reviews through enabling our readers to easily purchase the products they are interested in.
The New York Times Company is making a sizable investment to accelerate growth of the business. Wirecutter aims to expand this business by improving performance of existing product categories while applying Wirecutter product review approach to new product categories, in addition to exploring new revenue opportunities in commerce.
Who are we looking for?
- We're looking for an entrepreneurially minded and operationally oriented SEO expert with the ability to craft strategies and translate them into operational plans.
- You should have a strong background in crafting strategy in editorial and commerce related business, preferably with expertise in affiliate revenue. And you should have the ability to leverage your experience while not being constrained by it, adapting to Wirecutter product experience.
- You should have experience in applying data insights to editorial, business and product decisions; ideally, you will have extensive experience with performance metrics related to the affiliate marketing funnel.
- You should love to work with others and solve problems in groups, with the leadership skills to influence and inspire. And you should have a passion for the products and missions of The New York Times and Wirecutter.
Why should you apply?
As a Strategy leader for Wirecutter, you'll be a key member of the team responsible for scaling Wirecutter as we look to accelerate the business. The opportunity is highly entrepreneurial, but with the financial backing of The New York Times Company which is betting we can turn Wirecutter into a substantial part of the company's future revenue. Success will not just be growing Wirecutter business, but The New York Times Company business as a whole. And in doing so, supporting our editorial mission of providing high quality journalism to the public. If you're a results-oriented and mission-driven leader who gets excited about serving customers and turning that into financial success, there are few roles more exciting and important.
- Help grow Wirecutter into a best-in-class SEO operation.
- Partner with editorial leadership to help inform coverage decisions with data and insights. Develop a framework for evaluating new category expansion.
- Lead a team of digital producers tasked with ensuring content is optimized for discovery on search, as well as other "pull" channels (e.g., direct traffic, syndication).
- Partner with Product on the development of our new site architecture and guide template design to ensure we are adhering to SEO best practices.
- Work with Revenue to inform Wirecutter's syndication and backlinking strategy.
- Monitor seasonal trends, and coordinate with editorial to inform the updates calendar based on SEO opportunity.
- Conduct training sessions and provide ad-hoc consulting with various members of Wirecutter's staff.
- 5+ years of SEO experience. Experience working with Editorial and Product teams within a media or ecommerce company a plus.
- Ability to analyze and act on data; familiarity with tools like Google Analytics, Search Console, Keyword Planner and other SEO tools; and a knack for testing and optimization.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and in person. Experience communicating with senior executives.
- Ability to recruit, retain and motivate team; willingness to delegate responsibilities and ability to effectively lead.
- Passion for The New York Times's and Wirecutter's mission and commitment to be a part of our innovation and growth.
If you are an an active employee at The New York Times or any affiliates (excluding INYT), please do not apply here. Go to the Career Worklet on your Workday home page and View "Find Internal Jobs". Thank you!
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.
Meet Some of Wirecutter's Employees
Director of Data Analytics
Erik manages a team of analysts and data engineers who mine statistical data in an effort to continuously improve the company’s product reviews and shopping guides.
Back to top