Operations Assistant- New York
The Wirecutter is seeking a New York City based Operations Assistant to manage our NY office and test center, supporting our staff to be highly productive, efficient and successful both in and out of our space. As Ops Assistant you will be a key partner to the Operations Manager serving as the main level of support for everything that happens in and around our NY office as well as working alongside an ops team supporting a remote company with multiple offices and staff around the country.
Who are we?
Founded five years ago by journalists fed up with the time and energy it takes to shop, The Wirecutter (which includes its sister site The Sweethome) developed a simpler approach to giving buying advice: just tell people exactly what to get in one single guide. The company's purpose: to help people find great things, quickly and easily. Through rigorous testing, research, reporting, and whatever means necessary, they create straightforward recommendations that save readers from unnecessary stress, time, and effort. We then monetize these guides by enabling our readers to easily purchase the products they are interested in.
The Wirecutter was recently acquired by, and is now a subsidiary of The New York Times Company. As part of the acquisition, the Times is investing in The Wirecutter to accelerate its business through editorial category expansion, development of more robust product features and unlocking new revenue streams.
Who are we looking for?
We're looking for an organized problem solver who takes pride in their responsibilities and always wants to help those around them. You should have a background in supporting a small to medium sized staff and have the ability to operate successfully within a startup culture which encourages a proactive and empowered mentality without handholding.
You should have experience in managing an office, photo studio, creative space, event space or similar that relies on a maintained schedule for operating effectively and have served as the go to person for all internal and external communication regarding the space. You should also have experience working in a digital environment, operating and communicating effectively both in person and over a computer.
Above all else you should love helping people and thrive at solving problems. You should operate with ownership but know when to ask for help and how to prioritize.
Why should you apply?
As the New York Operations Assistant for the Wirecutter you'll get to join a newly established ops team that's empowered to run unique and fun offices that consist of digital working environments, product test centers and photo studios. You will manage our flagship NY office serving as the the main point of contact for all staff support in and around NY while also assisting a world class editorial team producing the most trusted buying advice as part of The New York Times Company. You'll get to operate with the excitement of working for a startup but with accessible resources and support of The New York Times Company.
- Own and manage the New York office and test center, serving as office manager.
- Own and manage the test center photo shoots, product testing, accommodations and events held in our NY space.
- Available normal business hours to directly support NY staff as well as staff around the country with any problems they may have, working from the office M-F.
- Assist the Operations Manager and editorial staff in securing, purchasing and/or delivering test products to our offices and remote staff on a daily basis.
- Run errands locally, prep for test events/photoshoots and pick up products from staff delivering to office/other staffers.
- Manage inventory of our test products consisting of purchased goods and product loans that will be stored in our offices.
- Handle shipping and receiving of all items to and from our NY space.
- Assist in photo shoots, product testing and events held in and around NYC.
- Manage office and test center scheduling/support system for all staff to easily and effectively use office conference rooms, specific test areas, schedule photo shoots and more.
- Help plan and execute both small and large events in our offices, city and around the country.
- Serve as a welcoming host for remote staff visiting our NY office.
- Experience working as an office manager, assistant or related position.
- Must be able to commute daily to an office in and around NYC.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Experience working with a remote staff, editorial a plus.
- Experience managing an office, photo studio, creative space or similar a huge plus.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and in person.
- Highly organized with the ability to problem solve, prioritize and delegate.
- General technical and digital knowledge required, more experience is a plus.
Culture and benefits at The New York Times Company and The Wirecutter:
- The Wirecutter has physical locations in both NYC and LA and this Operations Assistant is based in New York and expected to be in an office everyday.
- We are committed to career development, supported by a formal mentoring program as well as tuition reimbursement. The New York Times Company offers frequent panel discussions and talks by industry leaders (Sheryl Sandberg, Melinda Gates and Ta-Nehisi Coates are a few recent examples), that we encourage our employees to attend.
- We believe diversity fuels innovation and creativity, and we have a variety of employee groups and task forces across The New York Times Company and The Wirecutter dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace.
- We offer a generous parental leave policy, which was recently expanded in response to employee feedback. Birth mothers receive 16 weeks fully paid, adoptive parents and birth fathers receive 10 weeks also fully paid. Similarly, we offer competitive health and dental insurance, as well as 401k matching.
If you are an an active employee at The New York Times or any affiliates (excluding INYT), please do not apply here. Go to the Career Worklet on your Workday home page and View "Find Internal Jobs". Thank you!
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.
Meet Some of Wirecutter's Employees
As Editor-in-Chief of both Wirecutter and The Sweethome, Jacqui oversees editorial strategy for both publications. She’s responsible for determining the target audience for different pieces of content.
Back to top