Area Maintenance Manager - DC
- Arlington, VA
Area Maintenance Manager – DC | MD | VA
At Windsor Communities, it’s all about people. Our residents depend on us to be observant, interested in their lives, and quick to respond to their needs. We enjoy working with them and with each other. Every day is different – demanding, rewarding, and fun. Windsor has built a solid reputation on over 50 years of providing the best in luxury apartment home living – from beautiful garden-style apartments with lush surrounds to high-rise living offering the latest in modern, urban dwelling.
Windsor Communities is seeking an Area Maintenance Manager who will oversee properties located in and around the DC area. As a Windsor Area Maintenance Manager, you have a dedication that cannot be beat. You are hardworking, self-motivated, and take pride in a job well-done. Does this sound like you? Then you should bring your expertise and work ethic to Windsor!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: The primary responsibility of the AMM is to maintain a high level of quality and efficiency of all aspects of the maintenance operation within the assigned group of properties, including personnel, budgeting, planning and scheduling, inspecting, technical assistance, monitoring, reporting, purchasing, and other tasks to achieve market objectives for the region. Other duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Act as safety ambassador and promote a strong safety culture throughout the region.
- Lead and participate in regular safety education meetings, regionally or at property level.
- Monitor the compliance of safe work practices and use of PPE in the field – use positive reinforcement to correct behavior.
- Activate and coordinate emergency response teams in the event of natural disasters.
- Holds minimum of OSHA 10 certification or obtain within 90 days of hire.
- Understand and be able to use and interpret construction drawings, including architectural and mechanical, and construction manuals.
- Identify building defects, and propose suitable solutions, and approximation of costs.
- Create scopes of work for CapEx projects, manage competitive bidding process, identify most suitable contractor, and manage project through successful completion.
- Supervise implementation of routine and special projects by site teams.
- Experience with Yardi or other core property management software - able to create reports and analyze property performance metrics related to work order completion, turnover, and preventive maintenance.
- Ensure implementation of preventive maintenance (PM) program to ensure that all building systems, elements and components are maintained and serviced according to industry standards and manufacturer requirements.
- Inspect properties and ensure that cleaning, grounds keeping, inventory control, and general maintenance is being performed according to company policies and procedures.
- Provide technical assistance on maintenance-related items.
- Assist with various groups on asset acquisition and disposition.
- Be an excellent problem solver and creative thinker.
Procurement and Contracting
- Work in conjunction with the Procurement Department to optimize negotiated relationships; ensure that site teams comply to greatest extent possible.
- Negotiate outside vendor contracts for region, such as cleaning, landscaping, painting, flooring – monitor quality of services and correct work quality of vendors where needed.
- Be able to concisely describe problematic physical conditions to non-technical team members.
- Be able to speak on an equal technical level with contractors and design professionals when discussing existing conditions and proposed designs or solutions.
- Communicate professionally and respectfully with all company associates, both in writing and formal/informal conversation.
- Communicate frequently with VP Engineering, Regional SVP, Area Managers and Divisional Managers to keep them apprised of portfolio status
Supervisory & Team Building
- Manage team of Maintenance Supervisors, who supervise a maintenance staff at each property.
- Coach and mentor Maintenance Supervisors, provide support on technical issues, and help them develop professionally and personally.
- Encourage participation in ongoing education, and industry seminars and conferences.
- The AMM is part of broader team of peers and will be expected to present ideas during formal and informal ‘best practice’ planning sessions focused on improving operational efficiency.
- Support Vice President of Engineering with implementation of company maintenance initiatives.
- Participates in the annual budget process, including costs for MRO and 7-year projection of capital needs.
- Perform monthly review of maintenance expenses to ensure tight budget conformance.
- Perform quarterly review of expenses related to maintenance, capital projects, and third-party contracted services; update plans and projections accordingly.
- Local travel within DC, MD, and VA only.
- May be called on to assist with due diligence/disposition efforts outside of designated region.
- Perform other duties, responsibilities and special projects as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- At least seven years related experience in multi-family maintenance with progression from site to multi-site and regional/area responsibility.
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate completion of industry training courses.
- Education from technical vocational college is an advantage, but not required.
Windsor Property Management Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Back to top