Systems Engineer (DevOps)
Our home office in Minneapolis/St Paul, MN but you can work remotely anywhere within the US.
Who We’re Looking For
Does owning an infrastructure and driving its evolution excite you? Do the words “automation” and “open source” make your brows perk up? Are you a developer who gets a kick out of problem solving and system administration in a Linux environment? Does ChatOps interest you? Then this is your job!
You'll be in charge of enhancing and scaling our production servers and the applications that run on them. You'll ensure that our MySQL databases are not only performant, but being backed up properly. You'll work with the development team to automate our deployment processes, as well as monitor performance and uptime. You’ll also be responsible for scaling our infrastructure as our business continues to grow. In short, you will own all aspects of infrastructure, build and deployments.
We already have a lot of devops practices in place. We deploy multiple times a day. We can spin up servers easily. We have a scalable infrastructure. But we’re looking for someone smarter than us to take us even further. If that’s you, we should talk.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Be the driving force of improvement of our infrastructure and software through automation, monitoring, performance tuning, and tool creation.
- Define and develop system reporting and infrastructure health monitoring.
- Create tools and processes to build and deploy our apps to web. Preferred experience with compiling mobile apps as well.
- Troubleshoot production infrastructure and load issues and implement solutions.
- Develop and maintain our Chef configuration management environment.
- Use best practices for deployment processes and support.
- Drive overall production systems architecture.
Experience and Skills Needed
- 5+ years in a DevOps role interacting with development and QA. Preferred previous experience scaling a LEMP application at a growing startup.
- Ability to build, monitor, and tune production servers and services. We currently use linode but are moving to AWS.
- Strong grasp of automation tools (preferably Chef), and experience working in a DevOps culture; sharing responsibilities with developers and QA.
- Experience in Travis or other CI tool.
- Experience with version control and deployment processes, preferably GitHub.
- Experience running mission-critical Linux servers in virtualized environments.
What’s In It For You
- Passionate coworkers -- you’ll work with open-minded, enthusiastic people who will constantly challenge and motivate you to go above and beyond to produce great work and grow in your career.
- Transparency -- you’ll experience an open door policy that gives you the unique opportunity of having direct and informal access to our entire team.
- Individual ownership -- you’ll be empowered to take personal ownership of projects that can directly impact the future direction and overall success of our products.
- Diversity of thought -- you’ll become part of a talented team with a wide range of skills, experience, and philosophy.
- A communication and collaboration company used daily by tens of thousands of business locations to schedule hundreds of thousands of hourly workers around the world.
- A well-funded ($15M Series B in June ‘16) 100+ person company growing at a fast rate.
- A 2X Best Places to Work
- Led by a CEO named to the 2016 Business Journal 40 under 40 and Inc.com 2014 list of 35 Under 35 Coolest Entrepreneurs
- The 2013 Minnesota Cup High Tech Division Winner
From Our Employees
- “I work here because the team is awesome. There's no politics, there's no middle management second guessing everything or micro-managing my time, and everyone treats each other with respect.”
- “There’s so much to do to make the app a world-class app, I’m anxious to get it there and I believe I know how to do it. I enjoy building things, so this is right up my alley!”
- “What's cool about the work - The fact that I'm legitimately given the latitude to directly contribute to new initiatives and major product changes. I'm not micromanaged. I am empowered to determine what to do to help grow the company and to go do it.”
- “The people who work here are a lot of fun! Even though we’ve grown to 100 employees it’s still easy to get to know people especially if you join in on the lunch room shenanigans ;) The company activities we do are always fun too.”
- Medical and dental benefits
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Flexible work environment
- Data/Cell (internet) stipend
- Casual dress code
Sound Like a Good Fit?
Check out our core values. If they excite you, we’d love to talk! Please submit the following to apply:
- Resume (including months/years of employment for each position)
- Cover letter explaining why you’d like to work at When I Work, and not somewhere else.
Not looking right now for a new job?
That’s OK… we are going to be hiring through 2016. Let’s talk about what you may be looking for down the road.
*Must already be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer.
Back to top