Sr. Android Developer
Who We’re Looking For
Does taking an existing Android app and pushing what can be done on the Android platform sound like a fun challenge? Do you love nailing down the design of features so they work in the way Android users expect? Does working with a team that values elegance of design resonate with you? If so, we’d love to talk with you.
You are humble enough to work with other frameworks, technologies, constraints, and people when that's the easiest and/or best thing to do for the user and company.
You don’t mind being the one that looks bad when you deserve it. We all make mistakes sometimes but rather than dwell on them you choose to fix and learn from them then move forward. You care about how your work and attitude affects those around you. If you hurt someone, it hurts you. Everything you do runs through this filter.
When I Work is hiring an Android mobile app developer. Mobile is a huge part of what we do, and you’ll help take our Android development efforts to new heights! It will be a fun ride.
You are an engineer who:
- Focuses on shipping software that matters to your users and that matters to the company you’re building it for.
- Asks for help or input when you're stuck on a problem or need another point of view
- Is a forward thinker, obsessed with good software design and best practices but also knows a perfect solution will never get shipped.
- Loves creating apps that are as elegant under the hood as they are on the front end
- Brings passion, innovation and problem solving to every endeavor and has a fun doing it.
- Understands that communication is the biggest responsibility of your job but you need to focus on it to get it right.
- Lastly, Everyone knows that when you take on a task regardless if it’s huge and scary or tiny and boring, you’re going to see it through to the best of your ability.
What You’ll Be Doing
You’ll be working alongside our product team, building apps that make every piece of hourly workforce management - scheduling, time tracking, shift trading and more - easy and straightforward, for managers and employees alike. We not looking for you just to complete a task but build a product together with product management, designer, other developers and QA on a cross-functional team.. Your ideas and code will be put in production and used by thousands all over the world.
Experience and Skills Needed
- 4+ years experience with a wide range of Android SDK versions, from 4.0 on up.
- Has a working knowledge of the basics of agile (backlogs, estimation, progress updates and retrospectives).
- Experience working with existing app code and refactoring to awesome-ness.
- Knowledge of a variety of Android devices, from cheap knock-off phones to the latest hotness and everything in between.
- An understanding of REST and JSON, and knowledge of how to utilize REST on an Android client.
- Past experience with automated testing of your code.
- Some degree of User Experience ability - we have designers on staff, but want you to have a vision on how to make the best Android apps that we can.
- Experience implementing useful caching, scaling, and performance improvements on Android.
- A customer-focused attitude, with an ability and willingness to work with customers to diagnose and fix problems.
- Experience with GitHub and git as a version control tool.
- Experience working with Android Studio, preferably on Mac OS/X, as well as basic shell script development for small tasks.
What Would Be Awesome To Have
- Contacts in the Android development community, so that you’re up on the latest best practices and technology.
- Experience with Material design and implementation of efforts to convert existing apps to conform to the design standard.
- Some working knowledge of iOS development (so you can discuss concepts with our iOS developers).
- Experience with Gradle build scripts and custom implementations of Gradle tasks for build automation.
- Experience developing with other developers that are remote (e.g. through open source contributions, a former remote position, etc).
- Experience with continuous integration, specifically TravisCI, and how it is used with the Android SDK.
- The ability to read and understand PHP (the language of our API and web framework).
- A strong vision for what you think good Android apps can be, coupled with a willingness to work with product, sales and marketing teams to understand their needs.
What’s in it for you:
- Passionate coworkers -- you’ll work with open-minded, enthusiastic people who will constantly challenge and motivate you to go above and beyond to produce great work and grow in your career.
- Transparency -- you’ll experience an open door policy that gives you the unique opportunity of having direct and informal access to our entire team.
- Individual ownership -- you’ll be empowered to take personal ownership of projects that can directly impact the future direction and overall success of our products.
- Diversity of thought -- you’ll become part of a talented team with a wide range of skills, experience, and philosophy.
- A communication and collaboration company used daily by tens of thousands of business locations to schedule hundreds of thousands of hourly workers around the world.
- A well-funded ($15M Series B in June ‘16) 100+ person company growing at a fast rate.
- A 2X Best Places to Work
- Led by a CEO named to the 2016 Business Journal 40 under 40 and Inc.com 2014 list of 35 Under 35 Coolest Entrepreneurs
- The 2013 Minnesota Cup High Tech Division Winner
From our employees:
- “I work here because the team is awesome. There's no politics, there's no middle management second guessing everything or micro-managing my time, and everyone treats each other with respect.”
- “There’s so much to do to make the app a world-class app, I’m anxious to get it there and I believe I know how to do it. I enjoy building things, so this is right up my alley!”
- “What's cool about the work - The fact that I'm legitimately given the latitude to directly contribute to new initiatives and major product changes. I'm not micromanaged. I am empowered to determine what to do to help grow the company and to go do it.”
- “The people who work here are a lot of fun! Even though we’ve grown to 100 employees it’s still easy to get to know people especially if you join in on the lunch room shenanigans ;) The company activities we do are always fun too.”
- Medical and dental benefits
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Flexible work environment
- Data/Cell (internet) stipend
- Casual dress code
Sound Like a Good Fit?
Check out our core values. If they excite you, we’d love to talk! Please submit the following to apply:
- Resume (including months/years of employment for each position)
- Cover letter explaining why you’d like to work at When I Work, and not somewhere else.
Not looking right now for a new job?
That’s OK… we are going to be hiring through 2016. Let’s talk about what you may be looking for down the road.
*Must be local to Minneapolis area. No relocation offered; please state your relocation plans in your cover letter if you are relocating.
Must already be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer.
Back to top