Sr. UX/UI Product Designer
When I Work is an employee scheduling app that nearly half a million people in over 50 countries rely on When I Work for employee scheduling, time clock and communication. When I Work uses an innovative blend of collaborative communication technologies, including the web app, mobile apps, text messaging, social media, and email, to make teams more efficient, more accountable, and better prepared. Most traditional workforce management software is clunky, cumbersome and difficult to install and maintain. When I Work is a simple, intuitive, mobile-first solution that owners and managers can implement and start using in five minutes, not five months—no IT required.
Who We’re Looking For
Design is extremely important to our product development process for our web and mobile apps. This senior designer is going to be involved in the strategic level of the discovery process and will have a direct influence over how our product is designed, both functionally and aesthetically, and the way we use insights and data to discover unmet needs and deliver customer and product success.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Design elegant, intuitive, and empathetic product experiences as part of an integrated development and product team
- Practice design thinking techniques to guide exploration of unmet needs, experimentation with creative solutions, validation of assumptions, and measurement of iteratively-delivered solutions
- Facilitate collaborative design sessions to gather a variety of perspectives and build shared ownership with cross-functional teams
- Deliver world-class designs that delight and engage, driving product utilization and growth
- Leverage both qualitative and quantitative data to discover and design solutions that meet business success criteria.
- Help define both long and short-term vision and roadmap for your product area
- Collaborate with other designers to maintain design consistency and coherence across the product as appropriate
- Represent and ensure UX integrity when collaborating with marketing, engineers and product managers to address brand, technology, and business requirements
- Deliver all project phases from concept and design to production (evaluations, task flows, scenarios, information architectures, interaction models, wireframes, storyboards, low-fidelity prototypes, and design guidelines)
- Analyze tasks, model information, navigation and flows using feedback, data and UX best practices across web and mobile
- Present design solutions to stakeholders and company executives, defend design decisions and incorporate feedback into the design cycle
Experience and Skills Needed
- 3-5 years experience in similar role as a UX / UI, or Product Designer for mobile and web apps, either in-house or agency
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience, not required, but preferred
- Must demonstrate strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven expertise turning complex business problems into simple and engaging products for the web, iOS and Android
- Strong command of visual design, interaction design and information architecture
- An ability to tell compelling stories about your designs and present your work with confidence
- Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, Omnigraffle, Invision or similar design and prototyping tools
What Would Be Awesome To Have
- Prior experience at a startup and SaaS company
What’s in it for you:
- Passionate coworkers -- you’ll work with open-minded, enthusiastic people who will constantly challenge and motivate you to go above and beyond to produce great work and grow in your career.
- Transparency -- you’ll experience an open door policy that gives you the unique opportunity of having direct and informal access to our entire team.
- Individual ownership -- you’ll be empowered to take personal ownership of projects that can directly impact the future direction and overall success of our products.
- Diversity of thought -- you’ll become part of a talented team with a wide range of skills, experience, and philosophy.
- A communication and collaboration company used daily by tens of thousands of business locations to schedule hundreds of thousands of hourly workers around the world.
- A well-funded ($15M Series B in June ‘16) 100+ person company growing at a fast rate.
- A 2X Best Places to Work
- Led by a CEO named to the 2016 Business Journal 40 under 40 and Inc.com 2014 list of 35 Under 35 Coolest Entrepreneurs
- The 2013 Minnesota Cup High Tech Division Winner
From our employees:
- “I work here because the team is awesome. There's no politics, there's no middle management second guessing everything or micro-managing my time, and everyone treats each other with respect.”
- “There’s so much to do to make the app a world-class app, I’m anxious to get it there and I believe I know how to do it. I enjoy building things, so this is right up my alley!”
- “What's cool about the work - The fact that I'm legitimately given the latitude to directly contribute to new initiatives and major product changes. I'm not micromanaged. I am empowered to determine what to do to help grow the company and to go do it.”
- “The people who work here are a lot of fun! Even though we’ve grown to 100 employees it’s still easy to get to know people especially if you join in on the lunch room shenanigans ;) The company activities we do are always fun too.”
- Medical and dental benefits
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Flexible work environment
- Data/Cell (internet) stipend
- Casual dress code
Sound Like a Good Fit?
Check out our core values. If they excite you, we’d love to talk! Please submit the following to apply:
- Resume (including months/years of employment for each position)
- Cover letter including:
Why you’d like to work at When I Work, and not somewhere else
Links to apps or a portfolio (UX/UI creative works) that you have been a lead design on. Please provide a synopsis about each of those items. (This can be a second page below the signature line of your cover letter.)
Not looking right now for a new job?
That’s OK… we are going to be hiring through 2016. Let’s talk about what you may be looking for down the road.
*Must already be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer.
See Inside the Office of When I Work
When I Work is a software company that is transforming the way businesses and industries manage their workforces. When I Work creates mobile apps that make it easy for businesses to schedule, track time, and communicate with employees. With simple and beautifully designed products, When I Work is loved by thousands of businesses and over 250,000 employees worldwide.
Back to top