Senior DevOps Engineer
There are less than a few times in your life when you will have the opportunity to join a company at this stage. When I Work is the leader in Scheduling and Time & Attendance applications. Our portfolio of Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) applications, including our award-winning scheduling app, When I Work, has revolutionized the way that customers manage and schedule their employees. Over 25,000 businesses use When I Work to spend less time on scheduling and attendance and improve team communication - including Uber, Tesla, Ben & Jerry’s, and Virgin America. No matter how you slice it the future of business software is mobile. Consider joining the mobile leader, When I Work, and be a part of a team that is changing the way the world schedules and tracks time for hourly workers.`
Who We’re Looking For
Do the words “automation” and “open source” and make your brows perk up? Are you a developer who gets a kick out of problem solving and system administration in a Linux environment? Do you love solving hard problems in a cloudy systems architecture? Do you enjoy working at a fast paced environment with world class team mates? Then this is your job!
You'll be in charge of maintaining production servers and the applications that run on them. You'll ensure that our data stores are not only performant, but being backed up properly. You'll work with the development team to automate our process and monitor performance and uptime. You will be working with technical building new applications all the way from idea to production.
We already have a lot of devops practices in place. We deploy multiple times a day. We can spin up servers easily. We have a scalable infrastructure. But we’re looking for someone smarter than us to take us even further. If that’s you, we should talk.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Be the driving force of improvement of our infrastructure and software through automation, monitoring, performance tuning, and tool creation.
- Troubleshoot production infrastructure and load related issues.
- Help improve our infrastructure and software through performance tuning and high availability solutions.
- Define and develop system reporting and infrastructure health monitoring.
- Develop and maintain configuration management solutions.
- Perform basic engineering, design, implementation, and maintenance tasks.
- Develop test automation frameworks in collaboration with other team members.
- Understand and use best practices for deployment processes and support.
- Create tools to enable the technical teams.
- Consult on systems architecture with a heavy focus on adopting AWS managed services.
- Document configuration procedures.
- Contribute directly to the planning and execution of the next iteration of core, customer-facing services.
- Develop and support innovative tooling to support internal and external stakeholders.
- Participate in an active on-call rotation.
Experience and Skills Needed
- 5+ years as a system administrator or DBA.
- General cloud computing best practices, including networking and security.
- Strong communication skills to work with cross-functional teams of peers and departments within the company.
- Grasp of automation tools and experience working in a DevOps culture; sharing responsibilities with developers.
- Comfortable driving infrastructure as code with a focus on maintainability.
- Experience implementing managed cloud services in new and existing stacks.
- Experience running mission-critical Linux servers in virtualized environments.
- Experience orchestrating and supporting containerized deployments (Docker preferred).
- Understanding and familiarity of the fundamentals of Linux scripting language.
- Ability to build, monitor, and tune production servers and services.
- Experience with designing and building CI/CD ecosystems, Gitlab preferred.
- Experience with PHP and shell scripting (bash, etc.), and exposure to Python, Go, Terraform, and Ansible.
- Broad familiarity with AWS managed services, or expertise in a similar enterprise cloud provider.
- Experience with Couchbase, Kubernetes, mobile, and ephemeral infrastructure a plus.
What’s In It For You
- Medical and dental benefits
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Dynamic and dedicated team
- Data/Cell (internet) stipend
- Casual dress code
Sound Like a Good Fit?
We’d love to talk to you! Please submit the following to apply:
- Resume (including months/years of employment for each position)
- Cover letter explaining why you’d like to work at When I Work, and not somewhere else.
*Must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer.
See Inside the Office of When I Work
When I Work is a workforce management solution for small and medium sized business. Their mission is to help workers and employers work better together. Their vision is to create a better work life for every member of the workforce. When I Work makes it easy for businesses to schedule, track time, and communicate with employees. With simple and beautifully designed products, When I Work is loved by thousands of businesses and over 700,000 employees worldwide.
Back to top