About When I Work & Our Products
When I Work is a fast-growing mobile technology company that helps businesses schedule, communicate and track time with their hourly employees. We produce two core products: our flagship product is a scheduling & communication platform that managers and employees can use to coordinate and communicate asynchronously via native iPhone, Android or Web apps. The second is a time clock and attendance platform that managers use to track employee hours, attendance, timesheets and payroll hours via iPhone, iPad, Android or Web apps. Employees are able to clock in/out from their phone or computer and keep track of the hours they’ve worked. The business can setup a fixed time clock using a phone or tablet. The two products create transformative experiences for employees who want to easily trade-shifts, request time off, or pick up extra hours—and for managers who need to quickly fill open shifts, approve requests—plus make and communicate schedule changes easily.
We care deeply about the experience we provide our end-users because we’ve all worked an hourly job at some point in our lives—at least the odds are we all have since 60% of anyone with a job is hourly. We’ve all asked the question, “I wonder when I work?” at some point in our lives. We’ve called in sick, we’ve traded shifts with coworkers, and we’ve requested time off to go to that awesome concert. That’s why it’s our mission to help people spend less time working and more time living.
About the Job
Sitting at the intersection of user insight (both qualitative and quantitative), technology, marketing strategy and design, you will lead When I Work's efforts to aggressively grow our user base, increase employee engagement and deliver an unprecedented customer experience in Android, iOS and Web environments. Specifically, the job involves:
- Assist the product team in developing a compelling vision and strategic product roadmap.
- Communicate product vision and priorities internally and externally.
- Help coordinate the development in partnership with cross-functional team members including engineering, design, support and marketing.
- Help run experiments and make data-driven decisions about product direction and features to grow our user base.
- Communicate intimately with customers to get feedback on our products and how they’re using it. Use this information to anticipate what our customers will need.
- Run beta and pilot programs with early-stage products and samples.
- Be a point of contact for internal and external teams such as customer care, customer success, sales support and channel partners.
- Document, train and communicate new features to the Sales and Customer Care teams, our partners and our users.
- Coordinate with the Marketing team on PR strategies and competitor analyses.
Success in this role will be measured by the company's ability to achieve its strategic objectives, your ability to play a serious role in that success and your fit within our core values.
In this critical role, we are seeking what is known in baseball as the 5-tool player. You can think strategically and execute tactically. You are able to 1) conceptualize solutions to complicated challenges, while 2) executing with discipline and urgency. 3) You view the world both qualitatively and quantitatively with a trust-your-gut-but-verify-with-data approach. 4) You are both collaborative and opinionated. 5) You see the big picture… in graphic detail. Other qualities that we feel are essential for success include:
- 3-5 years of product management experience to include B2B and/or consumer mobile technology products
- Examples of successful new technology product launches into emerging markets
- Experience with data analytics platforms for both web and mobile
- Successful experience working in a fast-paced, dynamic (read: sometimes chaotic) startup environment. Previous experience growing a product at a startup highly preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to manipulate and draw insights from data
- Proclivity for design that respects design over function
- Self-motivated with a demonstrated desire to learn new technologies and skill sets
- Demonstrated track record of completing large amounts of important work (you get shift done)
- Consumer and/or B2B DNA where the user experience always come first
- Must demonstrate strong interpersonal skills
- Prior experience managing product at an internet SaaS company
- Superior writing skills with the ability to communicate complex concepts to various audiences
- Superior project management and time management skills
What’s in it for you:
- Passionate coworkers -- you’ll work with open-minded, enthusiastic people who will constantly challenge and motivate you to go above and beyond to produce great work and grow in your career.
- Transparency -- you’ll experience an open door policy that gives you the unique opportunity of having direct and informal access to our entire team.
- Individual ownership -- you’ll be empowered to take personal ownership of projects that can directly impact the future direction and overall success of our products.
- Diversity of thought -- you’ll become part of a talented team with a wide range of skills, experience, and philosophy.
- A communication and collaboration company used daily by tens of thousands of business locations to schedule hundreds of thousands of hourly workers around the world.
- A well-funded ($15M Series B in June ‘16) 100+ person company growing at a fast rate.
- A 2X Best Places to Work
- Led by a CEO named to the 2016 Business Journal 40 under 40 and Inc.com 2014 list of 35 Under 35 Coolest Entrepreneurs
- The 2013 Minnesota Cup High Tech Division Winner
From our employees:
- “I work here because the team is awesome. There's no politics, there's no middle management second guessing everything or micro-managing my time, and everyone treats each other with respect.”
- “There’s so much to do to make the app a world-class app, I’m anxious to get it there and I believe I know how to do it. I enjoy building things, so this is right up my alley!”
- “What's cool about the work - The fact that I'm legitimately given the latitude to directly contribute to new initiatives and major product changes. I'm not micromanaged. I am empowered to determine what to do to help grow the company and to go do it.”
- “The people who work here are a lot of fun! Even though we’ve grown to 100 employees it’s still easy to get to know people especially if you join in on the lunch room shenanigans ;) The company activities we do are always fun too.”
- Medical and dental benefits
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Flexible work environment
- Data/Cell (internet) stipend
- Casual dress code
Sound Like a Good Fit?
Check out our core values. If they excite you, we’d love to talk! Please submit the following to apply:
- Resume (including months/years of employment for each position)
- Cover letter explaining why you’d like to work at When I Work, and not somewhere else.
Not looking right now for a new job?
That’s OK… we are going to be hiring through 2016. Let’s talk about what you may be looking for down the road.
*Must already be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer.
Back to top