Business Analyst & Data Hacker
Who We’re Looking For
We are looking for someone who loves to think through problems, use data to prove or disprove them, and feels comfortable explaining those trends to others -- a data explorer if you will. Someone who is willing to go the extra mile, put in some late nights around deadlines, and truly understands the power that data can bring to an organization in helping it with its mission. In particular, the Business Analyst & Data Hacker will be supporting When I Work’s core values of be curious, be dependable, be resourceful, and value the artistry around how data analytics can help drive deeper understanding and further growth of our business.
We aren’t fixated on terms like data scientist, big data, business intelligence, analytics, etc., but we are laser focused on providing outstanding data-driven intelligence to help growth across all levels of the organization.
The Business Analyst & Data Hacker will assist in many aspects of how data can help drive fundamental opportunities for growth, savings, and knowledge to help serve the interests of not only our internal departments, but more importantly, customers of When I Work. You will help define the functions and mission of the analytics team moving into the future. Awesome analytics stuff!
What You’ll Be Doing
- Exploring When I Work data -- lots of different data streams to seek out trends, business intelligence, and any other key insights that will help the business grow
- Freedom to explore data and time every day to do so -- we are not focused on cranking out daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly type reports -- again, it is about growth of the business and the impact we can have on all customers of When I Work from a data perspective
- Helping define key metrics (KPI’s) and helping create dashboards and reports to measure all aspects of the operations: customer care, development, marketing, and sales
- Utilizing analytics tools and tracking solutions such as Tableau, Chartio, Salesforce, Segment, Google Analytics, etc.
- Building dashboards in Chartio for all departments across the organization
- Maintaining a standard of excellence in terms of speed, accuracy, and level of insights for all materials produced via the analytics team at When I Work (Core Value: Be Dependable)
- Helping develop intricate SQL queries to pull data out of production database and other analytics tools (Chartio, Tableau, Segment, etc.)
- Using Excel to create data pulls or lists for various departments across organization - analytics team gets lots of requests for lists in by Marketing, Finance, Sales, and other departments
- Helping create and design presentations via PowerPoint that give greater visual understanding to our data, our analyses, our mission and vision
- Contributing significantly to the management, production, and distribution of regular, standard reports for all relevant metrics we are focused on at When I Work
- Examining trends, thinking through business questions, and helping to create solutions that give our customers the best experience possible -- both internal stakeholders and external paying & trial customers
- Working alongside the Analytics team to develop short and long term goals for the development of a “data-driven” organization
- Potential of representing When I Work at trade shows and conferences
Experience and Skills Needed
- 2-5 years of analyst experience
- Bachelor’s degree with coursework in quantitative or research fields such as statistics, economics, mathematics, marketing, or information technology - happy to find social scientist with strong quantitative background
- A self-starter who can work autonomously, make sound independent decisions, while being able to efficiently manage time and multiple projects simultaneously
- An explorer - someone who loves to think through problems and come up with solutions to those problems
- Life-long learner - always looking for ways to expand individual toolbox with interests in attending data analytics conferences, additional training on analytics tools, etc.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel experience
- Intermediate skills in SQL querying and script writing
- Experience working with and understanding relational databases
- Experience writing SQL queries and building dashboards in some type of BI tool like Chartio, Tableau, etc.
- Comfortable with "hands on" involvement with data retrieval, manipulation, analysis and insight generation - at a minimum, the passion for learning this process - think Scientific Method
- Someone who understands the importance of “data integrity” and has outstanding grasp of what “relational database” means
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills - can communicate complex ideas to different types of audiences
- Must demonstrate strong interpersonal skills
- What Would Be Awesome To Have
- Some R experience
- Prior SaaS working experience
- Data modeling and ETL experience
- Salesforce experience (including coding and report generation)
- Google Analytics experience
What’s In It For You
- Medical and dental benefits
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Flexible work environment
- Dynamic and dedicated team
- Data/Cell (internet) stipend
- Casual dress code
Sound Like a Good Fit?
- Check out our core values. If they excite you, we’d love to talk! Please submit the following to apply:
- Resume (including months/years of employment for each position)
- Cover letter explaining why you’d like to work at When I Work, and not somewhere else
*Must already be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer without sponsorship.
Back to top