Tax Accountant 4
WEX Inc. is a leading and growing global provider of payment processing, information management and fleet card payment solutions.
We hire people who share our passion for continuous innovation and client service that is unparalleled in the industry.
If you are looking for a growing career – come be part of WEX today!
The Tax Accountant IV is responsible for gathering, reconciling, tracking and maintaining the financial information used in the preparation of state, Federal and international tax returns, estimates and extensions including, but not limited to, income, franchise and net worth taxes. The Tax Accountant IV is also responsible for assisting in the preparation of the FAS109 calculation(s), financial statement disclosures and forecasted tax rates. Included in these responsibilities is the reconciliation and analytical review of the tax accounts, maintenance of all book/tax differences for compliance with GAAP and tax law as well as incorporating the tax impacts of business changes into the calculations. The Tax Accountant IV will work with the Director, Tax to respond to governmental inquires and research tax issues. Conducts special studies and participates in projects requiring as dictated by needs of the business. Responsible for completion of work within established due dates in a complete, accurate and timely manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Tax Accounting (as assigned):
- Assist with the preparation of the quarterly and year end ASC740 provision calculations and supporting workpapers for US, international and consolidating current and deferred taxes on a legal entity basis.
- Assist in the preparation of the footnote disclosures for financial statement and SEC reporting and supporting workpapers.
- Reconcile general ledger tax accounts. Analyze activity and propose adjustments as necessary. Prepare reconciliations within finance calendar due dates.
- Analyze the general ledger for new account activity and work with tax manager to identify book/tax differences on a quarterly basis and incorporate them into the tax return workpapers. Work with finance personnel, as appropriate, to provide clarity on the general ledger to facilitate the tax provision preparation process.
- Maintain supporting documentation and calculations for all tax sharing agreements payments.
Tax Compliance (as assigned):
- Prepares, reviews and maintains the tax records and information on a legal entity basis neeeded to complete state, Federal consolidated and certain international tax returns and related forms and schedules, estimates and extensions.
- Prepare international components of the Federal income tax return including foreign tax credit calculation, Forms 5471 and 8858 as well as the supporting documentation for these schedules including, but not limited to, overall foreign losses, foreign tax payments and earnings and profits
- Develop, review and maintains detailed tax workpapers and applicable carryforward schedules and reconciliations to support permanent and temporary book to tax differences (current and cumulative)
- Maintain state apportionment documentation for filing positions, methodologies and calculations on a legal entity basis. Update standardized spreadsheets and incorporate quarterly changes for both ASC740 (FAS109) and estimate/extension purposes.
- Prepare and review quarterly tax estimates and/or extensions.
- Prepare responses generated in conjunction with tax inquiries/audits as assigned. Leads research into identified issues and develops explanations, documentation, and arguments in support of Company tax positions.
- Perform tax-related research.
- Assists as needed to calculate and monitor the forecasted tax rate for GAAP and ANI purposes.
- Works with the Director, Tax to identify tax planning opportunities and participates in the research and analysis of the impacts on proposed and existing business transactions.
- Keeps informed of tax laws, regulations, and rulings pertaining to state and federal income taxes. Attends seminars and similarly instructional events to expand knowledge of tax laws and IRS interpretations.
- Participates in special projects as dictated by the needs of the business.
Minimum Required Qualifications for Consideration
- Bachelors degree in Accounting or related discipline
- Minimum of 8 to 10 years related experience required.
- Working knowledge of PC based application software with an emphasis on spreadsheet skills required.
- Strong accounting, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills and flexibility
- Detail oriented; ability to multi-task and work in a fast paced deadline driven environment
- Self-motivated requiring minimum supervision
CPA preferred with a background in the preparation of corporate tax returns and research (multi-state corporate and/or international tax experience a plus).
At WEX, we reward innovation, hard work and excellence.
- 401(k) Plan
- Adoption Assistance
- Bonus Plan
- Dental Insurance
- Dependent Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Referral Award Program
- Expedition - WEX's Sabbatical Program
- Extended Parental Leave
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical and Dependent)
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance/AD&D
- On Site Fitness Facility in South Portland location
- Pet Insurance
- Paid Time Off(PTO)
- Short- and Long-Term Disability Programs
- Tuition Reimbursement
Equal Opportunity Employer/Vets/Disability
Meet Some of WEX's Employees
As a senior recruiter supporting the IT and Sales Departments, Julia spends her days sourcing candidates, reaching out to great potentials, and coordinating with her fellow recruiters to attend off-site events.
Back to top