Software Development Engineer 4
WEX Inc. is a leading and growing global provider of payment processing, information management and fleet card payment solutions.
We hire people who share our passion for continuous innovation and client service that is unparalleled in the industry.
If you are looking for a growing career – come be part of WEX today!
The Java Development Team Leader is a technical specialist and directs the efforts of a small development team. The Team Leader manages the relationship with the client, translates this into work stream projects for the team and checks produced code. In addition the Team Leader acts as a solution owner; taking the brief from the client on any issues they may have and assumes the lead for design and product solutions for IFCS.
Technical Lead - Development
- Conduct quality reviews of code
- To liaise with other senior technical staff to explore and suggest strategic technical solutions.
- Assist Business Analysts in their role as they translate client requirements to software solutions.
- Conduct impact assessments
- Lead design and product solutions for IFCS
- Shared responsibility for architecture
Work scheduling and management
- Manage priorities, resources and timescales in relation to project deliverables.
- Work through any issues so as much as possible, developers can work without interruption.
- Monitor work against the production schedule and produce progress updates
- Be responsible for work quality of the wider team and resolve any issues which may occur.
- Maintain an oversight of delivery for development teams.
- Manage the Java Development team to implement technical solutions meeting client requirements.
- Maintain awareness to personal and team health and safety issues, ensuring all OSH procedures are followed.
- When needed, support other team members by helping with their work activities to ensure agreed time lines are met.
- Contribute positively to the work and welfare of the team.
- Mentor and coach team members. Conduct annual performance reviews.
- Deal with performance issues as necessary.
- Manage day to day work, by following set procedures and ensure all team members are fully utilized.
- Provide on the job training to up skill team members.
- Recruit and select new staff as required.
- Facilitate team meetings on a regular basis to facilitate work planning. Communicate important information and collectively solve any issues which have arisen. Maintain a supportive and collegial team working environment.
- Attend necessary internal/client meetings to facilitate good working relationships.
- Develop collegial working relationship with client and other third parties.
Personal and professional development
- Actively increase knowledge of IFCS applications and other new technologies.
- Take ownership for own career development and participate fully in formal appraisals and review processes.
- Perform such other duties as reasonable directed by Management.
Education & Experience
- Bachelors/Master's degree (preferably Computer Science or Information Systems) or software development/programming certifications, is highly desirable.
- Extensive Java development experience, preferably gained on complex multi-tier web-based business applications.
- In depth knowledge and experience of working with J2EE, JEE, JDBC, Oracle 11g, SQL, JSF, JBoss, XML, Jasper Reports, SwingExtensive experience in supporting, modifying and maintaining systems and code developed by others.
- Knowledge and experience of software development processes and methodologies
- Experience using version control (Subversion) and bug tracking systems
Personal Skills and Attributes
- Strong leadership and managerial capability. Able to motivate and guide the performance of a team to produce outstanding results.
- Ability to analyse data logically and exercise sound judgment in defining, evaluating, and solving difficult technical and operational problems where solutions may be of a precedent-establishing nature.
- Ability to gain and maintain effective working relationships to achieve desired results.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to present technical information to others with clarity and precision.
- An ability to apply structured thinking, simplifying complex problems into component parts, to the resolution of programming challenges
- High standards of work with a focus on work outputs and results.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills to be able to establish rapport with people at all levels
- An eye for detail and accuracy, and an affinity with design issues.
- Organizational ability and tenacity; able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others
- Maintain personal effectiveness, embracing challenging deadlines, change and complex problem solving, approaching tasks with motivation and commitment.
- An ability to quickly and effectively understand and translate product and business requirements into technical solutions whilst adhering to the agreed specification.
At WEX, we reward innovation, hard work and excellence.
- 401(k) Plan
- Adoption Assistance
- Bonus Plan
- Dental Insurance
- Dependent Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Referral Award Program
- Expedition - WEX's Sabbatical Program
- Extended Parental Leave
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical and Dependent)
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance/AD&D
- On Site Fitness Facility in South Portland location
- Pet Insurance
- Paid Time Off(PTO)
- Short- and Long-Term Disability Programs
- Tuition Reimbursement
Equal Opportunity Employer/Vets/Disability
Meet Some of WEX's Employees
As a senior recruiter supporting the IT and Sales Departments, Julia spends her days sourcing candidates, reaching out to great potentials, and coordinating with her fellow recruiters to attend off-site events.
Back to top