Senior Network Engineer - Building Technology
WeWork is the platform for creators, providing hundreds of thousands of members around the world with space, community, and services that enable them to do what they love and create their life's work. Our mission is to create a world where people work to make a life, not just a living, and our own team members are central to that goal.
The Building Technology team's mission is to Empower WeWork and its Members with world class technology infrastructure, support and services. We are building best in class systems to deliver technology infrastructure and IT services to our Members in an automated, elastic, and easy-to-consume way. The technology we build and manage has allowed WeWork to scale to 300+ buildings in 20+ countries and continues to be our competitive advantage as the company continues to grow. Ultimately our goal is to make technology as frictionless as possible for our Members so that they can focus on creating their life's work.
WeWork's production network serves all of our Members that are distributed across 300+ buildings and located in 20+ countries around the world. The Network Engineering team is responsible for operating that network reliably and at scale. As a member of the team, you have a direct impact on network infrastructure design and feature enhancements to keep our systems running smoothly. You are focused on creating engineering solutions to operations problems, optimizing existing systems, building infrastructure and eliminating work through automation. You also ensure that network operations are safe and efficient by monitoring network performance, coordinating planned maintenance, adjusting hardware components and responding to network connectivity issues.
You are highly autonomous, possesses effective written and verbal communication skills, strong sense of ownership, adapts quickly to new technologies, and have high career growth potential. The desire and ability to work in a fast paced, collaborative environment is essential.
- Develop network architecture for a multi-tenant enterprise environment.
- Be responsible for the lifecycle of architecture from inception to working with engineering teams on implementation and supportability of design.
- Build reusable designs and systems that promote scale, reliability, security and efficiency.
- Manage and maintain multi-vendor, multi-protocol datacenter and backbone networks
- Define and develop optimized network monitoring systems
- Develop and maintain consistency within the networking infrastructure
- Ability to participate in a regular on-call rotation
- BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field involving systems engineering (e.g., physics or mathematics), or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of experience working on a service provider or enterprise-level network in engineering or design capacity.
- A deep understanding of network protocols, including IP and related transports, BGP, and OSPF
- A deep understanding of network hardware internals, including forwarding, filtering, and policing mechanisms
- A solid understanding of application protocols, including DNS, IPSEC, HTTPS, and TLS
- Experience developing network automation tools in at least one language (Python, Perl, C++, Bash, etc.)
- Experience with and understanding authentication mechanisms including PKI
- Familiarity with network hardware and software, preferably including Brocade, Cisco (IOS, NX-OS) and Juniper JunOS
- Strong understanding of wireless protocols
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Experience designing and deploying software defined networks
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top