Senior Hardware Engineer
WeWork is the platform for creators, providing hundreds of thousands of members across the globe space, community, and services that enable them to do what they love and craft their life's work. Our mission is to build a world where people work to make a life, not just a living, and our own team members are central to that goal.
We are building software for physical space that uses data and technology at each point in the building process, such that it can make better sourcing decisions, improve its designs, build faster and smarter, and ultimately improve the lives of the people working within its buildings. Our state of the art technologies and dedication to technological innovation are key reasons why WeWork has been able to scale from operating one workspace location to more than 250 in just over eight years.
The mission of Core Platform is to provide a unified underlying platform on top of which all member products and services will run. We are building a backbone for all technical applications at WeWork, including instrumentation of our own spaces and those of our partners, as well as experiences enabled by a variety of new devices.
As an Electrical Engineer on BuildingKit, you will design and build hardware systems and devices to instrument and control our spaces and those of our partners. BuildingKit integrates these into a common, programmable software platform that empowers developers to build data-driven applications for our spaces, devices and members. You will work closely with a team of talented software engineers and machine learning scientists to build cross-functional systems and applications.
- Work closely with Product, Data, Software and Infrastructure teams to translate application requirements to appropriate application-specific system design and component choices
- Design and test schematics and layouts for sensor and control devices integrated with WeWork's BuildingKit systems
- Coordinate with firmware team to develop reusable hardware integration and communication standards
- Drive engagement with design and manufacturing firm to build prototype and small-run electronics
- Develop novel approaches to retrofitting existing spaces for instrumentation and digital control
- Bring your design to mass production by assisting in software bring-up and collaborating with the external design partner to ensure the product is built and tested successfully
- Project management with CMs for design manufacturing, testing and mass production
- BS EE, ECE, or related with 5+ yrs of experience
- Full lifecycle, design-to-delivery experience
- Hands-on experience in rapid prototyping, testing, measuring, and debugging
- Previous experience with electronics/embedded hardware design or testing with strong EE fundamentals
- Experience with HDI PCB design and layout
- Experience with electronics product regulatory compliances (e.g. FCC, CE, UL, EN, etc...)
- Experience with embedded systems design, including processor selection, communication protocols (e.g. USB, SPI, I2C, UART, MIPI, and LVDS), low power design, and sensor integration
- Knowledge of various RF technologies (e.g. BT, BLE, WiFi, LoRa, Sigfox, LTE-M, etc.).
- Experience with industry standard PCB layout and schematic capture software (e.g. Altium Designer, OrCAD Cadence, PADS, etc.)
Nice to have
- MS EE or ECE.
- Experience bringing an electronics product to market.
- Experience in bring-up, including debugging, functional verification, and manufacturing support
- Experience with low-power designs and interfacing with analog sensors
- Experience with power distributions for clusters of actuators
- Experience working with external design and manufacturing partners
- Experience with simulation tools (e.g. PSpice, etc.)
- Experience in designing systems of electronic devices
- Enjoy prototyping in a hands-on, lab setting (e.g. comfortable with soldering, oscilloscopes, logic analyzers)
- Knack for reverse engineering and hacking on existing products
- Experience producing component libraries from associated datasheets
- Experience with low-level, embedded systems programming (e.g. C, C++, etc.)
- Experience working with mechanical engineers
- Experience with injection molding and tooling
- Understand basic security concepts of networks and systems
Back to top