About the Role
WeWork is currently seeking a Project Engineer who will work directly with the internal real estate team, internal design team (architects, interior designers, estimators, construction leads), outside consultants (MEP, Architectural, etc.), building personnel, and contractors to deliver new sites for WeWork. This is a very hands-on role that is tasked with assessing properties for potential success as a location for our product, and overseeing consultants/contractors in the delivery of selected sites. The role will involve identifying deficiencies and advantages in base building services and existing conditions, and aid in developing associating costs with bringing systems and conditions up to WeWork standard and/or local code requirements. You will then work closely with WeWork design teams and external consultants/contractors to manage project design development and expectations.
This is a great opportunity for someone who has excellent technical and communication skills, has worked with many unique buildings, and can identify issues that the built environment will present when performing a tenant improvement project. Please be willing to travel across your target region as needed.
Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Report directly to the Director of Engineering and regional development head jointly
- Collate existing building documentation and visit site to effectively advise on potential WeWork projects during initial due diligence phases
- Advise real estate and construction professionals regarding potential project concerns, and work with legal team to develop rigorous lease terms to support WeWork MEP requirements
- Interface directly with architectural and engineering consultants to identify key project concerns and cost issues
- Collaborate with development teams to ensure that leased spaces are delivered to expected conditions per agreement with landlords
- Incorporate understanding of local and national building codes into project information
- Work with internal architectects, designers and BIM specialists to develop schematic level handover packages to consultant design teams or design/build contractors
- Vet and onboard new consultants
- Oversee design development from external consultants, reviewing submission packages against WeWork MEP standards.
- Manage and solve technical issues that come up across construction trades, while effectively tracking issues as they are captured among internal teams and external consultants.
- Conduct value engineering sessions with contractors to ensure project budget and quality goals are met
- Onboard new contractors and participate in page-turning sessions at site kickoff
- Coordinate and collaborate with team across disciplines to ensure delivery of projects
- Visit site to ensure quality of installation and to facilitate rapid problem solving of field issues
- Oversee handover of site from development to operations department, managing punch/snag list and MEP handover packages, and troubleshoot commissioning issues
- Develop and lead engineering discipline initiatives, including internal design, modeling, and overall product development and improvement
- Identify holistic development issues and opportunities for improvement from an engineering perspective
- Independently research potential paths to improving product via such means as efficiency studies, technological improvements, etc.
- Must have Bachelor’s degree or higher in an MEP engineering discipline
- Experience in having direct responsibility for producing mechanical, electrical, plumbing or life safety construction documents (4 years minimum)
- Experience managing teams and taking the lead on interfacing with multiple stakeholders (2 years minimum)
- Broad knowledge of mechanical / electrical / life safety engineering infrastructure and coordination strategy with focus on mechanical design
- Have substantial experience with commercial construction projects
- Willingness to fully analyze and interpret commercial leases with specific regard to building services and cost ramifications
- Ability to understand building MEP/architectural plans to assess how existing conditions affect layout and cost exposure
- Make decisions and solve problems on the fly, often weighing up risks and incomplete information to allow a rapid judgement to be made to keep project moving
- Understanding of construction contracts and architectural agreements, specifications etc.
- Revit / Modeling experience preferred
- Experience of HVAC load modeling will be a benefit
- Analytical / research experience a major plus
- Fluency in a European language will be highly beneficial (ideally German or French)
Who you are:
- Someone who is ready to get their hands dirty
- Gets happy and excited that no two days are the same
- Loves working with numerous people day to day
- Never take yourself too seriously
WeWork is the platform for creators, providing more than tens of thousands of members around the world with space, community and services that enable them to do what they love and create their life's work. Our mission is to create a world where people work to make a life, not just a living, and our own team members are central to that goal.
The WeWork team believes deeply in the power of “we” and in the movement we’re a part of. We challenge convention and achieve amazing things through dedication and collaboration. There is a contagious energy in our spaces as we work together toward accomplishing our goals.
Our hunger for building great spaces; empowering startups, freelancers, and small businesses; and connecting interesting people is far from being satisfied. We’re just getting started, and our journey gets increasingly exciting as more team members join the movement!
Below are the values that guide who we are and everything that we do.
We do what we love and are connected to something greater than ourselves.
We are creators, leaders and self-starters. We try new things, we challenge convention, and we’re not afraid to fail.
We are genuine to our brand, mission and values. We’re not perfect and we don’t pretend to be. We are, though, always honest and as transparent as we can be.
We never settle. We get sh*t done and we get it done well. We’re persistent and knock down walls—literally if we have to.
We are grateful for each other, our members, and to be part of this movement. We don’t take success for granted. We’re happy to be alive.
We are in this together. This is a team effort. We always look out for one another. We value empathy; we know we’re all human, and know we can’t do any of this alone.
Back to top