- Tokyo, Japan
About the Team
The WeWork Japan Technology team is responsible for innovating and localizing the global WeWork business in the Japan market. We build "Japan First" innovations and then export them globally. You should join because of the sheer immensity of the innovation that we need to do as we disrupt the concepts of real estate, community, workspace, office and work as we pursue our mission to help people "make a life, not just a living". Here are some examples of the objectives that our team is trying to achieve:
- Community. Deliver the world's best member experience both online and offline, including building the world's most valuable online and offline member community that solves members' business needs and personal needs.
- Smart Office. Powering the world's biggest fleet of commercial real estate with proprietary spatial analytics "Google Analytics for office" and smart offices that deliver personalized member experience.
- Scale Operations. Automate location selection, design, construction, opening, sales, operating and hospitality processes at scale.
- Space As A Service. Like "AWS for space", powering technology-enabled offices inside WeWork spaces and outside WeWork spaces (Powered By We) with the special sauce of enhanced community.
Role and Responsibility
We are looking for a great Product Director who will manage product managers and work with engineering and design directors and managers to build awesome technology products. You will also help WeWork Japan build one of Tokyo's top centers of excellence and talent magnets in the Product Management discipline. You'll be spending most of your time solving product problems with engineers, designers and business stakeholders. You will be expected to:
- Become a subject matter expert in the business side of your Mission and all of the technology and data that supports it.
- Partner closely with business stakeholders to define problems and drive business value.
- Define a product vision based on data and get buy-in on that vision from executives and your peers.
- Work with designers to create user experiences based on research and evidence.
- Work with the engineering team to find the right technological solutions for building our products.
- Treat your peers with the utmost respect to help maintain a positive and collaborative team culture.
- Initiate, spec, and manage products and features aimed at achieving our goals.
- Run our agile process by building an organized backlog, leading standups, etc.
- Be flexible -- we're a fast moving business and changes in the organization and priorities are inevitable.
- Mentor and guide product managers to help them achieve their own career goals while also helping drive the team's goals.
- Be positive under pressure. And thrive working in a fast-paced environment with deadlines.
- 7+ years of Product Management experience in an agile environment. Strong track record of work experience at leading Internet firms in Japan is a plus.
- 3+ years of experience managing a team of Product Managers and proven ability to grow and promote those individuals.
- Fluent or native Japanese language ability. Strong English language ability is a very major plus but not required.
- Very strong product thinking skill and analytical ability.
- Strong ability to synthesize the areas of user experience, technology and business.
- You have shipped multiple products and can speak to the process of designing and building them with great detail.
- You have high empathy and emotional intelligence to relate the products you are building with the needs of users.
- You lead with data and research and not assumptions.
- You are a great communicator, detail oriented, and a great cross-collaborator when working with other departments within the company.
- You have strong stakeholder management skills and aren't intimidated to stand up for what is in the best interest of the product / your team.
- You are very organized -- you write detailed user stories in Jira, maintain your backlog and set clear goals that are shared throughout the organization.
- You have a deep understanding of software design, data structures, APIs, QA, etc.
Back to top