Manager, Real Estate Accounting
About ARK Capital Advisors
ARK Capital Advisors, ("ARK") is an affiliate of The We Company and serves as its new global real estate acquisition and management platform based in New York City. ARK's focus is acquiring, developing, and managing select real estate assets in global gateway cities and high-growth secondary markets. ARK collaborates with The We Company to apply The We Company's existing, new, and developing products and methods of community and space management to ARK owned real estate and leverage The We Company's relationships with partners and enterprise member companies to create vibrant fully programmed ecosystems.
ARK is currently seeking a Manager of Real Estate Accounting with approximately 7+ years of real estate accounting experience to assist with the financial management of its real estate investments including client and internal reporting requirements. The Manager of Real Estate Accounting will work closely with an experienced group of professionals while overseeing all aspects of real estate financial analysis, accounting, taxation, internal controls, and property management oversight. Successful candidates will enjoy working in an environment that is creative, mission-driven, results-oriented, and community-focused.
- Analyze and advise on, and create, maintain, and update documentation in support of, various accounting attributes of the real estate investment, including accounting treatment and structure of transactions, and assessing, documenting, and recording accounting impacts and performing consolidation, business combination, and derivative analyses and formalizing into accounting memos
- Perform financial due diligence for acquisitions by working with various ARK departments, third parties, sellers, JV partners, legal counsel, etc.
- Work with the members of ARK's Asset Management team to coordinate third-party appraisal, valuation, property condition, and other reports
- Advise on accounting and accounting-related aspects of structuring, formation, and maintenance of investments and investment vehicles, including real estate investment trusts (and similar/comparable structures)
- Lead preparation of property / investment financial statements, investor information statements, and lender information statements for the group, including financial statement disclosures, journal entries, ledger accounts, and related documentation
- Calculate and maintain key investment vehicle metrics, including net asset values, internal rates of return, carried interest, management fee payments, and other relevant financial metrics, and ensure accurate and timely reporting of all quarterly investor reporting requirements under all applicable contractual and other obligations
- Review and analyze property financial information. Facilitate and oversee monthly / quarterly reporting process. Ensure that all investments are accounted for in accordance with ARK policies and procedures as well as GAAP
- Oversee and manage compliance with all external and intercompany agreement requirements, calculations, and payments, including in respect of real estate investment trusts (and similar/comparable structures), and document accounting implications and reporting requirements of transactions
- Collaborate with internal personnel and external accounting advisors and other specialists to support key projects and initiatives, and oversee and manage the group's relationships with third-party accounting advisors, including to facilitate year-end audited financial statement processes and any interim testing
- Support cash and liquidity management and cash flow forecasting processes and manage and oversee bank accounts and operational banking relationships, including weekly and monthly cash reconciliations
- Client Service/Relations support including providing data/information for marketing, due diligence, clients and consultant requests
- Participation in client meetings where appropriate
- Bachelor's degree with major in accounting
- 5+ years of real estate accounting experience, preferably with high-growth organizations in investment and asset management sector
- Understanding of investment structures, asset financials, and property agreements (development, partnership, and purchase and sale agreements, etc.)
- Strong knowledge and understanding of U.S. GAAP accounting, internal controls, and financial reporting concepts relevant to the real estate sector
- Intimately familiar with financial modeling techniques and valuation methods used by analysts and investors in the real estate sector, and thorough understanding of key industry metrics used by those stakeholders
- Understanding of Fair Market Value accounting
- Demonstrated ability to prepare accounting memos by reviewing agreements and applying appropriate accounting guidance
- Computer literacy and working knowledge of Excel and Word. Experience in financial related capacities preferred
- Strong accounting and analytical skills. Organized work habits. Solid communication skills.
- Strong solutions-oriented analytical and verbal/written communication skills, particularly in respect of data analysis and reporting and communicating complicated accounting concepts to non-expert colleagues and other parties
- Service-oriented attitude characterized by strong listening skills and the desire to achieve shared success
- Attention to detail and time- and project-management skills
- Ability to work in many roles within the team framework (leader, support, co-worker, back-up for peers)
- CPA preferred, but not required
- Big 4 or large multinational in-house accounting department experience
- Experience in Real Estate investment accounting platforms (MRI or YARDI)
- Understanding of international real estate accounting standards including regulatory and financial reporting
- Results-driven, user-centric, innovative, and comfortable in a highly complex and high-growth environment
- Creativity, flexibility, and openness to change
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top