Head of Real Estate, APAC
About the Role
WeWork is seeking a Head of Real Estate, APAC who will be based in Shanghai, China and manage all WeWork’s growing APAC markets. Responsibilities include: site selections/sourcing, financial evaluations, lease negotiations and closing, managing developer/landlord relationships, and all tasks relating to acquisition of new locations. The candidate must also maintain and foster strong relationships within the real estate community and larger local community on behalf of WeWork. The role will report into the Global Head of Real Estate, and Managing Director, APAC.
- Lead two regional Real Estate Directors across APAC
- Source off market and on market deals and analyze best fit opportunities for WeWork.
- Conduct proper research, direction, cost controls, and negotiations for all new locations and lease renewals.
- Establish strong negotiating positions and relationships with developers and other outside resources and contractors in order to secure the objectives and goal of WeWork’s expansion.
- Develop and implement market strategy, creating economic guidelines to ensure all deals are made with most favorable terms for WeWork and renew leases in a timely fashion at the most favorable terms.
- Assert strong negotiation position with attorneys and developers to secure fair terms on new leases and amendments.
- Justify all decisions with financial analyses and other supportive documentation.
- Coordinate lease management process including but not limited to lease analyses, reports, lease rental expenses, and financial justifications of presentation.
- Assist in lease negotiation process to ensure all business terms are incorporated in leases, as well as all protective lease clauses to benefit company.
- Travel as needed for sourcing, market research, meetings, closing, etc.
- 7+ years’ experience in commercial real estate sourcing / negotiating in APAC (including China)
- Native/fluent in Mandarin and English
- Experienced in navigating compliance requirements for MNCs
- Confidence and experience entering new markets and sourcing/managing several deals at a time
- Well-versed in Shanghai & Beijing commercial real estate markets
- Robust list of broker and landlord relationships
- Strong financial, analytical, prioritizing, interpersonal, problem-solving, and presentation skills
- Ability to operate independently and remotely from HQ while establishing strong working relationships with co-workers and cross-functional teams
- Strong, professional and effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to foster a positive and motivating work environment, encouraging feedback and innovation
- Ability to adapt quickly and efficiently, both direction and priority
- An entrepreneurial spirit ready to learn fast and hustle
- Ability to travel extensively as a primary part of your role
WeWork is the platform for creators, providing more than tens of thousands of members around the world with space, community and services that enable them to do what they love and create their life's work. Our mission is to create a world where people work to make a life, not just a living, and our own team members are central to that goal.
The WeWork team believes deeply in the power of “we” and in the movement we’re a part of. We challenge convention and achieve amazing things through dedication and collaboration. There is a contagious energy in our spaces as we work together toward accomplishing our goals.
Our hunger for building great spaces; empowering startups, freelancers, and small businesses; and connecting interesting people is far from being satisfied. We’re just getting started, and our journey gets increasingly exciting as more team members join the movement!
Below are the values that guide who we are and everything that we do.
We do what we love and are connected to something greater than ourselves.
We are creators, leaders and self-starters. We try new things, we challenge convention, and we’re not afraid to fail.
We are genuine to our brand, mission and values. We’re not perfect and we don’t pretend to be. We are, though, always honest and as transparent as we can be.
We never settle. We get sh*t done and we get it done well. We’re persistent and knock down walls—literally if we have to.
We are grateful for each other, our members, and to be part of this movement. We don’t take success for granted. We’re happy to be alive.
We are in this together. This is a team effort. We always look out for one another. We value empathy; we know we’re all human, and know we can’t do any of this alone.
Back to top