Director, Real Estate & Special Counsel, Tri-State
WEWORK REAL ESTATE // TRANSACTION MANAGEMENT
Director, Real Estate & Special Counsel, Tri- State
The Transaction Management team is responsible for leading negotiations from the finalization of the term sheet to lease signing. The Transaction Management team is responsible for driving the closing process, making business decisions, drafting and negotiating leases and ancillary documents, providing day-to-day counsel to internal teams on construction/design, risk management and dispute resolution issues. As a dedicated member of a territory deal team, this role requires a deep understanding of commercial leasing terms (or significant transactional experience and a willingness to learn) and passion for working cross-functionally to meet region and territory goals. This person will eventually report to a Senior Director, Real Estate and Special Counsel at the territory level, and may report to the VP, Real Estate and Special Counsel of the US & Canada located in New York in the interim.
- Negotiate and draft leases, management agreements, subleases and other occupancy agreements, as well as ancillary documents such as SNDAs, estoppel certificates and access agreements.
- Confer with stakeholders, including construction and design, building operations, and finance to ensure each department's needs are met to secure the best possible WeWork member experience.
- Manage outside counsel and leverage them for drafting and in-person or teleconference negotiations as needed.
- Contribute to real estate investment committee presentations (and other meetings) and have up-to-date knowledge of major projects, deals and goals.
- JD required from a Tier 1 law school.
- Member of a Bar.
- Either 5 or more years of transactional work experience in commercial real estate law at a top-tier firm or in-house legal department, or 3 or more years of significant leasing experience at a top-tier law firm or in-house legal department.
- Strong desire to contribute to a cross-functional team which is responsible for handling a mix of business and legal objectives.
- Excellent drafting and negotiation capabilities.
- Strong understanding of both the commercial real estate industry and the interplay between legal and business risk.
- Impeccable and concise communication and presentation skills, verbal and written.
- Reliable, focused and detail-oriented.
- Strong time-management skills and experience managing multiple fast-paced projects simultaneously, and under pressure.
- Ability to understand business needs, demonstrate sound judgment, and formulate solutions.
- Ability and willingness to travel to negotiation sites as needed, and to New York City for training and team-collaboration.
- Must have excellent client service and interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain and uphold the goodwill, morale, and reputation of the entire team.
Back to top