Director, Public Affairs – Tri State
About the Role
WeWork is currently seeking a Director of Public Affairs for NYC and the Tri State region.
The Director of Public Affairs will lead WeWork’s communications, public policy, and local civic partnership efforts New York City and the Tri State Region. The primary objective of the role is to develop and implement a wide range of policy initiatives, thought leadership events, and brand awareness and PR campaigns across New York City and the Tri State region. This person will work in a fast-moving cross-functional organization with key internal and external stakeholders.
The Director of Public Affairs will report to the Head of Public Affairs for the Americas based in New York City.
Strong candidates will have a sophisticated understanding of media relations and strategic communications – a deep expertise of public policy, campaigns, and the future of work and cities – and will have demonstrable experience managing PR campaigns, Policy campaigns, and civic partnerships and events.
- Deepen WeWork’s brand and product awareness in markets through local earned media and via multi-channel cross-functional campaigns.
- Strengthen WeWork’s brand and create social impact through civic partnerships, programming and thought leadership.
- Establish WeWork as an influential civic stakeholder and protect business interests through government and influencer relations.
- Lead strategy and manage managers and local agencies across the region.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key influencers, officials and partners in the region.
- Work directly with the Director of Marketing for Tri State to create launch playbooks for new markets and buildings across the region.
- Work directly with the Director of Marketing to conceptualize, execute and promote scalable brand awareness, community engagement, and thought leadership partnerships and events across the region.
- Work with the national Corporate Communications and Consumer Communications teams to amplify corporate and consumer campaigns.
- Work with the Corporate Communications team to build relationships with NYC based national publications and reporters.
- Manage potential press and policy issues in the region in a thoughtful and effective way.
- Develop plans that identify key speaking engagement opportunities for executives in the region, and manage those events.
- Work with the events team to vet opportunities for media interest and secure media to cover WeWork events
Successful candidates will:
- 8-10 years of public affairs (Communications and Policy) experience, preferably in NYC politics and/or at high-growth companies and startups
- Extensive relationships with key NYC media, business, startup, and civic leaders
- Experience managing PR agencies
- Be a strong self-starter who is eager to make their mark in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial organization
- Experience working across various regions and/or territories
- Ability to develop strategic plans and advise senior leaders while also delivering at the tactical/operational level – this person should be able to conceptualize a media strategy, as well as work directly with reporters to implement it
- Excellent organization, communication, writing and presentation skills: experience managing teams and working collaboratively across multiple levels, functions and regions
- Experience with a wide range of communication channels including digital, broadcast, and print
- Must be capable of managing multiple issues and projects at once. Prioritization is key to success.
WeWork is the platform for creators, providing more than 80,000 members around the world with space, community and services that enable them to do what they love and create their life's work. Our mission is to create a world where people work to make a life, not just a living, and our own team members are central to that goal.
The WeWork team believes deeply in the power of “we” and in the movement we’re a part of. We challenge convention and achieve amazing things through dedication and collaboration. There is a contagious energy in our spaces as we work together toward accomplishing our goals.
Our hunger for building great spaces; empowering startups, freelancers, and small businesses; and connecting interesting people is far from being satisfied. We’re just getting started, and our journey gets increasingly exciting as more team members join the movement!
Below are the values that guide who we are and everything that we do.
We do what we love and are connected to something greater than ourselves.
We are creators, leaders and self-starters. We try new things, we challenge convention, and we’re not afraid to fail.
We are genuine to our brand, mission and values. We’re not perfect and we don’t pretend to be. We are, though, always honest and as transparent as we can be.
We never settle. We get sh*t done and we get it done well. We’re persistent and knock down walls—literally if we have to.
We are grateful for each other, our members, and to be part of this movement. We don’t take success for granted. We’re happy to be alive.
We are in this together. This is a team effort. We always look out for one another. We value empathy; we know we’re all human, and know we can’t do any of this alone.
Back to top