Development Director, China
About the Role
WeWork is looking for a Development Director to lead the development efforts in China for our rapidly expanding APAC region. The Director will lead a team of Project Managers, construction specialists, architects, designers, and logistics leads. The Director will be responsible to monitor the pipeline of projects in the region and ensure that the team is appropriately staffed to deliver them in a timely manner. This individual shall work closely with the team to identify and manage risks on the projects. In the event risks are identified, the Director shall mentor the team in providing guidance in overcoming the obstacles.
Development Director shall work cross functional across teams such as real estate, legal, community, technology, security, etc. The Director shall oversee and produce ongoing reporting on the health of the projects.
Additionally this individual shall look for cost initiatives to ensure that the region is delivering the projects in the most cost effective manner. This may involving with internal sourcing or with external vendors to come up with unique solutions to deliver the project.
- Project development strategy
- Budget development and approval
- Full process oversight of persistent project teams
- Insure persistent teams are adequately resourced to achieve Expansion goals
- Inspire teams under their direction to achieve goals through effective leadership
- Substantial involvement during Leasing and PLAy to establish project strategy
- Substantial involvement during Documentation to review and approve initial project budget
- Substantial involvement during Preconstruction + Bidding to approve final budget
- Develop and foster relationships with the right consultants throughout the region
- Continuously monitor the workload of the teams to ensure that the projects throughout the regions are delivered on time.
- Help come up with unique delivery approaches that helps reduce project delivery times and/or budgets.
- Create and foster relationships with consultants and contractors within the region
- Work across the department to roll out new initiatives and meeting targets
- Provide mentoring to the group to ensure that the team is inspired to deliver the projects
- 10+ years of experience of all phases of the design process from schematic design through the bid process and construction management
- Be familiar with building & ADA codes
- Familiar AutoCAD/drafting and be able to draw construction details
- Be a self-starter, with the ability to work independently in a fast paced environment
- Travel 50% of the time
- Fluent in Mandarin and English (written and spoken)
Critical Competencies for Success
- You do what you love!
- Credibility is earned at WeWork through execution and getting things done.
- You are able to get into the details and deliver results under highest expectations on time and quality.
- Be ready to get hands-on with all aspects of the daily needs. The buck stops with you.
- Pragmatism and outcomes orientation are valued and lead to wins.
- Exceptional organizational and multitasking skills.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- You have the flexibility to think outside the box.
- We don't do everything the traditional way, and are always looking to innovate and push the envelope.
- You have the ability to foresee and identify needs of the team.
- You take an innovator and creator’s approach to any issues that may arise.
- There is no room for “I” at WeWork. Every role and individual is in the organization to serve We.
- Builds trust across the organization by being a good listener and inclusively soliciting input.
- You are open to new and innovative solutions.
- You must present well and communicate clearly and effectively to upper management and internal departments.
- You’re willing to adjust course when appropriate new ideas or objections are raised.
- You love working with people!
WeWork is the platform for creators, providing more than tens of thousands of members around the world with space, community and services that enable them to do what they love and create their life's work. Our mission is to create a world where people work to make a life, not just a living, and our own team members are central to that goal.
The WeWork team believes deeply in the power of “we” and in the movement we’re a part of. We challenge convention and achieve amazing things through dedication and collaboration. There is a contagious energy in our spaces as we work together toward accomplishing our goals.
Our hunger for building great spaces; empowering startups, freelancers, and small businesses; and connecting interesting people is far from being satisfied. We’re just getting started, and our journey gets increasingly exciting as more team members join the movement!
Below are the values that guide who we are and everything that we do.
We do what we love and are connected to something greater than ourselves.
We are creators, leaders and self-starters. We try new things, we challenge convention, and we’re not afraid to fail.
We are genuine to our brand, mission and values. We’re not perfect and we don’t pretend to be. We are, though, always honest and as transparent as we can be.
We never settle. We get sh*t done and we get it done well. We’re persistent and knock down walls—literally if we have to.
We are grateful for each other, our members, and to be part of this movement. We don’t take success for granted. We’re happy to be alive.
We are in this together. This is a team effort. We always look out for one another. We value empathy; we know we’re all human, and know we can’t do any of this alone.
Back to top