About the Role
We are seeking a mid-level data scientist to join WeWork’s Data Science team. This sits within the Data Team, a centralized and relatively small, collaborative, and tightly-knit team whose job is support analysts and decision makers across the organization, and to support you. We want you to focus on shipping machine learning models and make a difference to the business.
More concretely, the Data Team is composed of four sub-teams:
- Data Engineering: provide the analytics infrastructure for the whole of WeWork.
- Business Intelligence: develop reports, dashboards, and metrics, as well as provide BI tools, to provide accurate and timely information.
- Insights: supports various product and business groups with recommendations and in-depth analyses.
- Data Science: deploys impactful data products based on advanced analytics and machine learning.
You will focus on the latter.
In this role, you will get to collaborate with various business and tech teams to design, implement, and roll out models—from classification and clustering to NLP and predictive modeling—that directly impact our members and our business operations.
With the rest of the data team to support you (such as with data access & cleaning, and understanding business logic and metrics), your job is to work with the business to define appropriate problems, perform advanced analytics, prototype machine learning solutions and models, and then experiment, and ultimately roll out impact data products.
Why This Role is Important
This role is important because there is a huge potential for data science to impact the business. While WeWork is very data-driven, it is only just starting to use data science to augment those decisions. You have the chance to showcase what data science can achieve, increase broad buy in and enthusiasm, and change the culture. There is a general thirst to use data in more creative and powerful ways and you can help meet that.
What You Will Learn
There is a lot of potential to learn new skills in this role. You are going to learn how to work with the business, how to determine the best problems to tackle, and how to tackle them with ML. Of course, you get the chance to beef up your data science chops. You will have the independence and responsibility to own these projects, choose the right models, and see them through to completion. Want to work with interesting data? We got it. Want data from a global brand open in 100+ locations across multiple continents, we got it. Want it in multiple languages, we got that too. Want to tackle problems from sales and retention to real estate and social networks? You betcha.
- 4+ years practical experience in industry as a data scientist or similar quantitative role.
- Track record of prototyping, developing, and deploying statistical and ML models.
- Strong SQL skills. Experience with production transactional and data warehouse databases. (We primarily use AWS Redshift.)
- Strong technical skills, especially in Python (numpy, scikit-learn, pandas etc), R, and *nix command line.
- Deep knowledge of machine learning and data mining.
- Superior communication and data visualization skills. You can tell a compelling story with data.
- Experience working in an Agile environment
Nice to Have
- Experience with NLP
- A Master’s or Ph.D. in quantitative relevant subject (such as science, computer science, statistics, or machine learning) is preferred but far more important is your proven, industry track record.
Critical Competencies for Success
- You do what you love!
- You are infinitely curious.
- You are a collaborative doer who can work independently to get things done.
- You love to learn. Love to mentor and teach others, even better.
- You thrive in a dynamic startup environment. You live KISS and embody agile.
- You keep up-to-date with latest developments in the field
WeWork is the community of creators. We provide the space, community and services for over tens of thousands of members to do what they love and create their life's work. WeWork’s mission is to build a world where people work to make a life, not just a living. Our own team members are central to this mission.
The WeWork team is a group of entrepreneurial, grateful individuals who deeply believe in what we are creating and in the power of “we”. We challenge convention and achieve amazing things through dedication and collaboration.
WeWork transforms buildings into beautiful, collaborative work spaces and provides infrastructure, services, events and technology so our members can focus on doing what they love. Our team members value the WeWork concept and there is a contagious energy in our offices as we work towards accomplishing our goals.
Our hunger for building great spaces, empowering small businesses and connecting interesting people hasn't yet begun to be satisfied. We are just getting started, and our journey gets increasingly more exciting as team members join our mission!
Our values guide who we are and everything that we do.
We do what we love and are connected to something greater than ourselves.
We are creators, leaders and self-starters. We try new things; we challenge convention; and we’re not afraid to fail.
We are genuine to our brand, mission and values. We’re not perfect and we don’t pretend to be. We are, though, always honest and as transparent as we can be.
We never settle. We get sh*t done and we get it done well. Be persistent and knock down walls – literally if you have to. You have our permission.
We are grateful for each other, our members, and to be part of this movement. We don’t take success for granted. We’re happy to be alive.
We are in this together. This is a team effort. We always look out for one another. We value empathy; we know we’re all human, and know we can’t do any of this alone.
Back to top