About the Role
WeWork is looking for a Mid/Senior level Construction Manager to help manage a regional portfolio of projects. As a member of the construction team, the successful candidate will work with a project team (including development, architecture, engineering, logistics, interior design leads) to support all efforts that go into building out a WeWork space. The majority of the focus of the Construction Manager role is during the build-out execution, so a great deal of time will be spent on site reviewing plans and conditions with general contractors, vendors, and team members. Construction Managers at WeWork are also expected to be excellent communicators, risk-assessors, relationship builders and problem solvers.
- Schedule Management
- Manage all on-site activities during the construction phase to ensure major milestones are met by general contractor and WeWork vendors to open spaces on schedule
- Collaborate with internal team members to validate construction duration and develop overall project schedule
- Coordinate with general contractors & WeWork vendors to supply and install FF&E as scheduled
- Support internal WeWork teams, general contractors, and local municipalities to obtain permits and schedule inspections as needed
- Coordinate with landlords to ensure on-time delivery of lease required scope
- Assist Development and Engineering teams with Due Diligence activities to understand potential base building issues or unique conditions
- Coordinate with internal team members on project readiness prior to turnover and member move-in
- Cost Management
- Communicate potential value engineering opportunities to internal WeWork team members
- Support Development and Estimating teams generate budgets
- Support Estimating team with (or complete on own) bid management and general contractor selection
- Manage general contractor change orders
- Procure purchase orders and pay general contractor and WeWork vendor invoices on time
- Quality Management
- Ensure general contractors and WeWork vendors adhere to plans and specifications
- Ensure delivery of high-quality finished product to maintain WeWork brand standards
- Work with Architecture and Engineering teams to enhance plans and details on future projects when drawing conflicts are discovered
- Manage punchlist and project closeout processes
- Ensure general contractors work in accordance with company safety standards
- Have thorough understanding of safe working practices and OSHA requirements
- Proactively communicate risks and opportunities regarding constructability, cost, quality, and schedule concerns to internal WeWork team members
- Partner with in-house and outsourced consultants (engineers, architects, designers, etc.) to provide project deliverables on time
- Build and maintain relationships with internal team members and external resources
- Provide constructability feedback during Due Diligence phase to identify potential issues around unique building conditions
- Familiarity with BIM or Virtual Design and Construction
- Experience with Lean Construction or Pull Planning techniques
- Significant construction experience working on high-end retail, hospitality, or similar projects
- Ability to travel as needed (50 - 75% of the time) to projects throughout designated region (North America, Europe, Asia, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, architecture, construction management (or equivalent experience)
- Experience with construction management/project management software (Procore, Primavera, etc.)
- Ability to read architectural and engineering drawings and identify issues
- Ability to work independently in a fast paced environment
- Ability to “size up” construction progress or obstacles in the moment and provide solutions to stay on schedule and minimize cost impacts
- Desire and ability to manage multiple large-scale projects simultaneously
- Highly organized with attention to detail
- Full understanding of Microsoft Office and MS Project
- Required communication skills:
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Excellent and prompt follow-up skills
- Ability to build and maintain relationships
- Ability to communicate project risk quickly and concisely
- Must be able to read & speak English (international candidates)
- Required decision making skills
- Confident with making major decisions
- Experience in on-site risk-assessment
Who You Are:
- Eager to teach; more eager to learn
- Seek out innovative and technological solutions and experiment with new ideas
- A craftsperson with real-life hands-on experience
- Burning desire to make every project better than the last
- Strive for making things better for the entire team
- Ready to roll up your sleeves and get work done
WeWork is the platform for creators, providing more than tens of thousands of members around the world with space, community and services that enable them to do what they love and create their life's work. Our mission is to create a world where people work to make a life, not just a living, and our own team members are central to that goal.
The WeWork team believes deeply in the power of “we” and in the movement we’re a part of. We challenge convention and achieve amazing things through dedication and collaboration. There is a contagious energy in our spaces as we work together toward accomplishing our goals.
Our hunger for building great spaces; empowering startups, freelancers, and small businesses; and connecting interesting people is far from being satisfied. We’re just getting started, and our journey gets increasingly exciting as more team members join the movement!
Below are the values that guide who we are and everything that we do.
We do what we love and are connected to something greater than ourselves.
We are creators, leaders and self-starters. We try new things, we challenge convention, and we’re not afraid to fail.
We are genuine to our brand, mission and values. We’re not perfect and we don’t pretend to be. We are, though, always honest and as transparent as we can be.
We never settle. We get sh*t done and we get it done well. We’re persistent and knock down walls—literally if we have to.
We are grateful for each other, our members, and to be part of this movement. We don’t take success for granted. We’re happy to be alive.
We are in this together. This is a team effort. We always look out for one another. We value empathy; we know we’re all human, and know we can’t do any of this alone.
Back to top