Associate Director, Technical Site Selection, Canada
WeWork continues to experience explosive hyper-growth. A site selection manager is needed in the region, to lead all early stage technical elements associated with the acquisition of real estate (lease and purchase) and other space options to facilitate our growth. We are looking for a jack of all trades to oversee the technical elements of our real estate acquisition. We want to source the best real estate in the world for our members and ensure the hand off to our project delivery team is top-notch; each deal you work on will need to be well developed in terms of agreed hand over condition from the landlord, have complete financial and schedule clarity and have all the technical issues principally ironed out.
The role will encompass the evaluation of site suitability, architecture, MEP, construction schedule and cost. You'll be identifying deficiencies in basebuilding services and existing conditions, rating the building against our defined stringent member must-haves and develop a cost plan to bring it up to WeWork standard / local code. If the deal is a new-build you will be negotiating with the developer to make sure what they deliver is perfect for WeWork. Once the deal progresses to the next stage, you'll be working with our transaction team to close the lease, before our project delivery team will take over and develop the building to opening.
This is an amazing opportunity for someone who has excellent technical and communication skills, has worked with many unique building and can identity issues that the built environment will present when performing a fit out construction project. The technical site selection manager will be paired with an internal real estate deal lease to ensure total accountability of deal and transaction quality. Real estate own the financial deal metrics, technical site selection own construction cost, schedule and technical; together they are held accountable for the quality of real estate we develop for our business.
- Site Selection - You shall perform high level due diligence without external consultants with a goal of eliminating disadvantageous deals without significant utilisation of resources.
- Technical due diligence - Post term sheet, the site selection manager will perform in-depth due diligence with external consultants to quickly and efficiently execute the lease with our real estate and legal team.
- New markets - You will lead a team going into new markets assessing and engaging local partners (architects, engineers, contractors) developing permitting strategy, understanding of local code, construction cost and schedule.
- Communication - This role will put you in the middle of complex negotiations, technical meetings and conversations with landlords, developers and owners - you shall be able to think on your feet and represent the best interests of WeWork and our members. You must have the ability to interact with internal business units and stakeholders to ensure primary responsibilities are aligned with the development team's strategic direction.
- Program management - You will be managing multiple projects at once across a number of territories and cities, you need to coordinate with internal team members, consultants, vendors and all external / internal stakeholders.
- Deliver - You must be able to deliver results and projects in a timely manner. We move faster than most, so you need to maintain the pace.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or architecture or other related technical discipline
- At least 7-10 years site selection, due diligence and acquisition experience in commercial real estate
- An understanding of commercial leasing is highly desirable
- Background in real estate development, construction or construction design is a must have with contract values of +$2M USD.
- Be familiar with construction industry best practices, building and local codes.
- Proven ability to apply critical thinking in complex situations.
- Strong analytical, creative thinking, written and verbal communication.
- Willing to travel as needed (50% of the time).
Back to top