Program Associate- WES Mariam Assefa Fund
- Toronto, Canada
WES is looking a Program Associate to join the WES Mariam Assefa Fund, a philanthropic initiative aimed at catalyzing economic opportunities and advancement for immigrants and refugees in Canada and the U.S. The Fund provides grants, investments, and other support to interventions that promote more inclusive economies and the economic integration of immigrants and refugees. The Mariam Assefa Fund launched in mid-2019 and is now looking to grow its team as its work expands in Canada and the U.S. The Fund Program Associate will provide critical programmatic, administrative, data management, convening, and special project support across the Fund’s team. The Associate will report to a Senior Program Manager and work closely with the Fund Senior Director, other members of the Fund and WES teams, and external partners and grantees. This role can be remote, in Canada.
Duties include but not limited to:
Program Support – 70%
- Support the Fund’s Senior Program Manager in working with portfolio of 20+ grantee partners, including but not limited to tracking grantee deliverables and outcomes, conducting initial programmatic review of grant reports, and participating in meetings with grantees.
- Establish and maintain relationships with partners and prospective grantees, including tracking potential grantee and investee conversations and pipeline, responding to grantees’ questions, and drafting declination letters to unsolicited letters of inquiry.
- Assist in developing future grantmaking by participating in program strategy development, supporting review of new funding proposals, preparing analyses of projects for review by Senior Program Manager, and assisting in drafting grant recommendations and other program-related materials.
- Contribute to scanning and stay informed about key trends, research, data, events, and articles in Canada immigration, workforce development, adult education, impact investing, and other relevant spaces.
- Actively contribute to cross-office learning and developing programs and strategies to support shared learning & development goals, including Fund Ambassadors programming
- Support the planning and execution of convenings, conferences, and other external events that the Fund or its grantees may organize and/or in which Fund team members participate.
Administrative Support – 30%
- Support meeting prep, coordination, calendaring, and conference call coordination, note-taking, follow-up, and logistics, including travel planning and catering (likely not until 2021).
- Maintain the Fund’s Salesforce CRM to ensure up-to-date information on grant, investment, and partnership opportunities, compile key metrics for Fund reporting and dashboards, develop analytics, and other needs.
- Support Fund Senior Director, Managers, and other team members in updating key tools and reports required by the Fund, WES Senior Leadership Team, and/or WES Board.
- Proactively manage various administrative tasks for Fund team members including problem-solving in collaboration with other departments.
The Ideal Candidate will:
- Bring an entrepreneurial mindset to generate new approaches, spot innovative opportunities, take calculated risks, and initiate action.
- Have a deep-rooted intellectual curiosity, an openness to diverse ideas and perspectives, and a continued interest in learning and professional development.
- Thrive an environment that values transparency, collaboration, and an orientation for results.
- Bring a “can-do” attitude and have a willingness to stretch up and down in their role.
- Build informal working relationships and quickly establish credibility in new areas of work.
- Have a commitment to supporting immigrants and refugees and an interest in elevating their voices and experiences through their work.
- A Bachelor’s degree with 2-4+ years of relevant work experience required.
- Professional experience in philanthropy, workforce development, immigration, refugee resettlement, and/or social sectors strongly preferred.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong project management skills with comfort coordinating with a range of internal and external stakeholders on a diverse portfolio of projects.
- Techy savvy with strong database management skills and comfort learning new applications and programs.
- Track record of delivering high-quality, accurate work in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Fluency in English required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
AODA Statement: WES values diversity in all its forms and recruits qualified individuals at all occupational levels that reflect the diversity of our clients and our community. We strive to foster a workplace in which all individuals maximize their potential, regardless of their differences. We are committed to providing accommodations for person with disabilities. If you require an accommodation to complete this application, we will work with you to meet your needs.
While we appreciate all applications received, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Back to top