Associate Director of HR
World Education Services (WES) is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping international students and professionals achieve their educational and professional goals in the United States and Canada.
For over 40 years, we have set the standard of excellence in the field of international mobility with our credential evaluations, research and consulting services, and ongoing support for international students and skilled immigrants. We have provided evaluations to more than 1,000,000 people worldwide. Our evaluations are widely recognized by more than 2,500 educational, business, and governmental institutions throughout the U.S. and Canada.
Our mission is to advance the global mobility and integration of people into academic and professional settings by evaluating and advocating for the recognition of international educational qualifications and enabling individuals to fully utilize their education.
If you have a desire to help us grow and transform our culture that will enable millions more internationally educated students and professionals integrate successfully in Canada, we’d love to hear from you.
Reporting dually to the Managing Director/Deputy Executive Director of WES Canada and Head of Human Resources for WES in New York, the Associate Director of Human Resources is responsible for leading and overseeing the HR function for WES Canada. This position will lead an HR team while working closely with the senior management team to provide leadership and expertise by recommending, implementing, maintaining, and integrating all human resources activities and strategies. The incumbent is a seasoned HR leader and a change agent adept at thinking strategically to develop and implement innovative solutions that meet organizational goals, business needs and compliance requirements. S/He will be an integral part of the HR Leadership Team for WES, and will help develop and implement an integrated HR Strategy, which takes into account the Canadian context.
- Develops and executes the strategic Human Resources plan in line with organizational goals and business objectives
- Oversees the implementation of all human resources activities including recruitment, retention, compensation/benefits, performance management, workforce planning, human resources information systems, HR compliance, policy development, employee relations, and health and safety
- Responsible for the development and implementation of human resources policies, procedures and processes that support organizational objectives and business needs
- Leads the strategy, procurement and implementation of program improvements such as employee benefits, systems and processes
- Evaluates all human resources programs and systems to support their delivery and identify opportunities for continuous improvements
- Researches and exercises judgment on advice falling outside standard policy; conduct research and seek guidance from subject- matter-experts to recommend proper solutions where no standard exists
Leadership and People Management
- Managing, mentoring and developing an effective HR team in Canada that nurtures relationships with staff and professional growth
- Maintains overall accountability for HR operations including strategic planning, financial monitoring, operational planning, staffing, people management and continuous quality improvement
- Collaborates with the broader HR team in U.S. on HR functional area where alignment is possible (i.e. employee engagement, training and development, performance management, organizational development/design and any related change management strategies and initiatives)
Organizational Change and Development
- Develops regular employee communications to build trust and promote transparency through company-wide channels
- Leverages expert knowledge of HR policies, legislation, business data, employee engagement surveys, direct employee feedback, and best practices to design and execute WES’s people strategy
- Facilitates organizational change and growth by supporting change management initiatives across WES that improves operational efficiency
- Provides strategic advice, recommendations, coaching, and guidance to the leadership team on a full range of people issues, workforce planning, policy and HR best practices
- Develops and maintain strong collaborative relationships with business leaders through a working knowledge of the business environment and leveraging that understanding when providing advice and support
- Mentoring and coaching people leaders to foster a workplace culture in line with WES’ values
- Resolves employee relations matters by reviewing, assessing risk, compiling and preparing evidence to support appropriate recommendations to decision makers
- Maintains currency and in-depth knowledge of HR best practices, employment laws (i.e. human rights, employment standards, AODA, occupational health and safety), legislative change, court decisions and other major events/matters with potential employee relation impacts
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or a related field
- Professional designation in human resources (CHRL/CHRE)
- Minimum 10 years of progressive human resources leadership experience with demonstrated people management and consulting skills
- Previous working experience in a not for profit, client service and/or productions environment is an asset
- Strong practical knowledge in all HR functional area with demonstrated strength in organizational design/development, workforce planning, legislative compliance, policy development and employee relations
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship building skills with demonstrated ability to build trust and collaborative internal relationships, at all levels and across departments
- Demonstrated experience in strategy development and working directly with Executives and the senior management team
- Ability to manage ambiguity, risk, and changing direction of projects and strategies
- Superior communication and presentation skills
- Possess strong leadership skills that will incite enthusiasm, create positive morale and drive results among direct reports
- Ability to work independently while understanding the importance of engaging appropriate members of senior team for awareness or guidance and/or escalating issues as appropriate
- Demonstrated ability to assess, analyze and take appropriate action in situations that require an urgent response. Demonstrated initiative and motivation toward continuous improvement of self and business processes; pride in workmanship and job ownership
- Acts as a role model of professional conduct pursuing excellence in execution, seeking opportunities for continuous improvement and producing creative and/or unique work solutions that support the people and the business
- Open and approachable with the ability to comprehend and relate to people at all levels of an organization while providing effective coaching, advisement, support and guidance
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply directly with the link.
WES is an organization committed to ensuring accessible services and communications to individuals with disabilities. Once an applicant has been selected for an interview, requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their accommodation needs known when contacted.
WES would like to thank all applicants, however only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.
Meet Some of WES's Employees
Keerthiga S.Credential Examiner - CANADA
Keerthiga authenticates academic credentials from international applicants, a role which involves researching the educational systems of countries around the world and adapting to ongoing changes.
Back to top