Consumer Loan Underwriter (SAFE) 5 - Portfolio Credit Office
At Wells Fargo, we want to satisfy our customers' financial needs and help them succeed financially. We're looking for talented people who will put our customers at the center of everything we do. Join our diverse and inclusive team where you'll feel valued and inspired to contribute your unique skills and experience.
Help us build a better Wells Fargo. It all begins with outstanding talent. It all begins with you.
Consumer Banking is an industry leader in supporting homeowners and consumers, in addition to operating one of the most extensive banking franchises in the country. We serve mass market, affluent, and small business customers; as well as provide home and personal lending. Our focus is on delivering an exceptional experience for our customers through financial advice and guidance coupled with providing the products and services that will help them realize their financial hopes and dreams. We've built our team of top professionals by rewarding their accomplishments and ensuring they have what's needed to succeed.
National Underwriting and Production Risk Management (NUPRM) provides support for transaction underwriting, managing production risk, and implementation of policies and procedures that support the home lending process.
As part of Wells Fargo Home Lending, NUPRM identifies and adopts best practices and controls in relation to retail mortgage products. The Portfolio Credit Office (PCO) supports Centralized and Distributed Retail Non-Conforming Fulfillment teams.
This team is responsible for making credit decisions on Non-Conforming loans including but not limited to: credit policy exceptions within designated authority, loan size reviews requiring higher lending authority, path of assistance / 2nd level decisions.
- Analyzes most complex financial and credit information for high dollar customer loans according to business unit standards
- Underwrites high dollar loans with higher aggregate credit exposure and may manage a more complex portfolio
- Underwriting exception work streams that cannot be decisioned through the decision tool
- Compiles, analyzes, and documents loan data and credit risk, borrower and property information
- Determines decisions/exceptions beyond the decisioning authority levels of less experienced underwriters
- May negotiate loan provisions
- Mentors or review analysis of less experienced underwriters and may provide credit policy direction to underwriting managers in the field
- 1+ year of experience in complex underwriting authority for escalated or special situation loans
- 5+ years of experience in underwriting, lending, or a combination of both
Other Desired Qualifications
- Basic Microsoft Office skills
- Strong analytical skills with high attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to interact with all levels of an organization
- Knowledge and understanding of underwriting policies and procedures, investor guidelines, and regulatory updates
- Ability to handle confidential material in a professional manner
- Ability to consult, build, and maintain solid working relationships in and outside of immediate department
- Ability to coordinate completion of multiple tasks and meet aggressive time frames
- Knowledge and understanding of underwriting: non-conforming loan process
- Operational support exposure; preferably in the Wells Fargo Wealth and Investment Management (WIM) line of business
- Ability to review personal or business financial statements and tax returns (commercial and individual)
- Experience with exception authority, second level reviews, government / conventional exceptions
- Extensive underwriting experience which includes experience in reviewing Self-employment, Corporate, and Partnerships tax returns
- Advanced asset analysis and experience working with all types, and extensive experience with layering risk and evaluation
- Appraisal review background
- Individuals in Loan Originator (LO) positions must meet the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau qualification requirements and comply with related Wells Fargo policies. The LO qualification requirements include meeting applicable financial responsibility, character, general financial fitness and criminal background standards. A current credit report will be used to assess your financial responsibility and credit fitness, however, a credit score is not included as part of the evaluation. Successful candidates must also meet ongoing regulatory requirements including additional screening, if necessary.
- This position requires SAFE registration at the time of employment. Wells Fargo will initiate the SAFE registration process immediately after your employment start date. The Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System (NMLS) web site (http://fedregistry.nationwidelicensingsystem.org ) provides the MU4R questions and registration required for employment in this position.
AZ-Chandler: 2850 S Price Road - Chandler, AZ
All offers for employment with Wells Fargo are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check. Wells Fargo will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state and Federal law, including Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
Relevant military experience is considered for veterans and transitioning service men and women.
Wells Fargo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.
Back to top