Staff Software Engineer - Data Platform
We have a goal: the more clients we have and the more information each of our clients shares with us, the better experience we can provide to all of our clients. To do this, we need to both scale our platform to handle our growing client base and deliver new features that take advantage of the increasing amount of information we have. Our data engineering team is at the center of this.
We’re looking for engineers excited to help scale our existing data infrastructure and build out new compute capabilities. This includes making tradeoffs between online, offline, and streaming architectures, as well as learning the product well enough to understand the impact these decisions will make on clients.
What You'll Work On
- Data pipelining infrastructure: Our data moves around a lot. We need it available for batch and real-time compute, and we need to expose it for use by both our backend platform and data analytics. Message brokers, key-value stores, and job schedulers are some tools our team works with. You’ll help identify improvements for our architecture, designing and implementing solutions to get data around more efficiently.
- Spark: As data engineers, we want to move fast, and we want our code to move fast as well. We have a batch compute platform using Spark, and we’ve recently built out a near-realtime platform using Spark Streaming. We are continuing to increase the performance of our data pipelines while simultaneously increasing the complexity of the jobs that run on top of them. You'll be expected to improve the infrastructure while you implement on top of it.
- Data quality: A model is only good if it is correct and built on recent data. We put a strong emphasis on data quality. We write unit tests to verify the functional correctness of each module and meta-tests to guard against common programming errors. Throughout our data pipelines we run automated sanity checks on live data, alerting if any data is stale or values fall outside of expected ranges.
What You Have
- 7+ years of software engineering experience
- Knowledge of the Spark/Hadoop ecosystem.
- Experience scaling a platform to handle a growing user base.
- We code in Java and Scala, familiarity with them is a plus.
- A BS in computer science or a related field. An MS or PhD is a plus.
Everyone across the financial spectrum deserves to live secure and rewarding lives. In order to successfully serve clients across the United States, the Wealthfront team is focused on hiring team members with a diverse range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Wealthfront pioneered the category today known as “robo-advisors” when the company launched its automated investment service in 2011. Today, we manage over $12 billion for our clients and have expanded our service to offer free financial planning to anyone as well as cash management solutions with our recently launched FDIC insured Cash Account.
But we’re not done there. Our vision is to optimize and automate all of their clients’ finances, and build Self-Driving Money™️. We want clients to be able to automatically deposit their paycheck into their Wealthfront account and take care of the rest -- paying their bills, topping off their emergency fund or 401(k) and investing the rest based on their specific goals and lifestyle. To get there, we’ll be focusing the bulk of our efforts on reinventing the way we currently bank in the U.S. in 2019. The banking industry is one of the most non-client centric industries in existence and we hope you join us to flip the script and rebuild it from the ground up.
Back to top