Senior Frontend Engineer
Our mission is pretty simple: we believe that everyone deserves access to sophisticated financial advice. Over the past five years, Wealthfront has built a technology company focused on re-architecting the finance industry, and along the way we’ve created a new category known as automated investment services (aka ‘robo-advisors’, but truth be told we’re fairly light on robots). What that actually means is we build software that enables us to democratize access to services typically reserved for the ultra-wealthy, and through automation we can deliver those services to investors at an incredibly low cost. And it’s working; we have clients across the country who trust us with nearly $6.5 billion in assets -- and we’re just getting started!
We recently launched a new user experience that lays the foundation for a future where Wealthfront is the only financial advisor our clients will ever need. To accomplish this, we redesigned and rebuilt our frontend architecture to deliver a dashboard that provides personalized advice and will ultimately be the center of our clients’ financial lives.
We’re looking for engineers who are excited to focus on product engineering across our frontend web server and client-side application and to contribute to other key parts of our infrastructure.
WHAT YOU’LL WORK ON
- Roswell: As frontend engineers, we collaborate with a world-class and highly technical design team led by Kate Aronowitz. Through this collaboration, we developed Roswell, our UI toolkit and visual style guide for making beautiful and standards compliant online products. It is designed for modern web browsers and uses reusable React components, performant CSS animations and our SASS testing library, Sassaby.
- Desktop and Mobile Web Application: We rely on a JRuby on Rails application to serve desktop and mobile web traffic. Some of the interesting challenges we’ve worked through include scaling to hundreds of concurrent requests with multi-threading on the JVM and using Java’s Reflection API to better facilitate communications with our backend services.
- Test, Build and Deployment Infrastructure: We deploy our frontend services multiple times per hour and are constantly scaling to support more users, services, and engineers, so we’re heavily invested improving this infrastructure. We ascribe significant value to i) tools and libraries that keep our automated tests reliable and fast and ii) stable build and deployment infrastructure that scales as we grow.
- Data Platform: We strive to make decisions using objective criteria and automate manual processes wherever possible. As such, frontend engineers frequently contribute to a range of projects on our data platform spanning from building frontend infrastructure operability dashboards and visualizing the results of A/B tests to gathering data to make informed product or technology decisions.
WHAT YOU HAVE
- 3+ years in a frontend engineering role
- Experience with Ruby on Rails or similar server-side framework (such as Express or Django)
- Real passion for agile, test-driven development, continuous integration, and automated testing
Wealthfront is the only robo-advisor to offer both investment management and financial planning exclusively through software. Because of this approach, we've quickly become the automated advisor of choice among young people. Anyone can open a Wealthfront investment account with $500 to access a unique Passive+ investment strategy that includes a combination of a diversified portfolio of ETFs and tax minimization strategies. All clients receive financial planning through the service, Path, at no additional cost. Wealthfront does not charge management fees on the first $10,000 and for amounts above that the annual management fee is 0.25% - a fraction of what financial advisors charge. Wealthfront's strategy is to take high end financial services that are reserved for those who have millions of dollars and deliver them to young consumers through software. The majority of Wealthfront clients are in their 30s and 40s and have less than $1 million to invest. Wealthfront was founded by Andy Rachleff and Dan Carroll, who launched the service in December 2011. Wealthfront has raised over $129 million in funding from Benchmark Capital, DAG Ventures, Dragoneer Investment Group, Greylock Partners, Index Ventures, Ribbit Capital, Social + Capital and Spark Capital, and is based in Redwood City, CA. For more information please visit www.wealthfront.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of Wealthfront's Employees
Lead Software Engineer
Ria plans and advances Wealthfront’s product projects. It's her responsibility to architect and implement new features for clients with the company's future-forward investment technology.
Back to top