Technical Product Manager, Data Science
The Algorithms team at Wayfair creates decision frameworks, data artifacts and tools to effectively guide business strategies and decision-making across pricing optimization, demand forecasting and marketplace growth. These algorithms leverage best-in-class approaches across machine learning, economics and statistics to drive business impact.
- Pricing Optimization
Mission: Drive efficient trade-offs between revenue and profit and how to manage price perception with our customers
- Dynamically set retail prices on millions of products daily
- Leverage continuous experimentation, best-in-class modeling approaches, and economic theory to build a scalable, dynamic, and flexible platform
- Demand Forecasting
Mission: Drive efficient trade-offs between product availability, delivery speed and operating cost to make effective supply chain decisions across the company and its suppliers
- Create most accurate demand forecasts for millions of products monthly for the next 18 months
- Leverage best-in-class modeling approaches across the industry and academia, engage users to drive adoption of products, and ultimately create effective demand and supply management levers to drive decision-making
- Marketplace Growth
Mission: Foster competition among suppliers and increase customer engagement, managing product assortment to reduce transaction costs and accelerate Wayfair’s growth
- Dynamically curate product assortments using prediction models and apply game theory to drive increased supplier competition
- Leverage experimentation, scalable models, auction theory, and online learning to maximize value creation
We are currently recruiting for each of the above three groups and you will be working in one of these groups. You will have the opportunity to collaborate closely with other groups to drive business goals as needed.
What You'll Do
- Establish the vision, strategy, and roadmap for data science products.
- Partner with key stakeholders across Engineering, Data Science, Operations Research, Other Algorithmic Products, Business teams (Category Management, Promotions, Profit Management), and Operations teams (CastleGate Operations, Account Management) to develop a cohesive strategy for a variety of high impact business problems.
- Act as subject-matter expert for non-technical stakeholders on all data science systems and technologies.
- Translate high-level business projects into detailed technical deliverables and manage projects to completion.
- Enable efficient data workflow production through smart data contracts with technical partners.
- Drive recruiting, learning & development, team culture and product development processes.
What You’ll Need
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Economics, Mathematics or a related quantitative or technical field, or equivalent practical experience. Advanced technical degree such as an MS/PhD or MBA preferred but not required.
- 3+ years of Product Management experience.
- Excellent analytical skills with demonstrated experience in turning data into key metrics that produce actionable insights.
- The ability to leverage empirical learning to drive business strategy.
- Superior communication skills to influence internal teams and senior management to generate consensus.
- An entrepreneurial mindset, with a bias for action and ability to deal with extreme ambiguity and rapidly changing environments.
- Demonstrated experience with data science processes including ETL, modeling and evaluation.
- Experience working with machine learning data scientists and/or managing agile sprints for a team of backend engineers is a plus.
- Experience working with large data sets and technologies such as Spark, Hive, SQL, Airflow, Python, GCP is a plus.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.
Back to top