Technical Data Analyst
Technical Data Analyst, Competitive Intelligence
Are you excited about manipulating massive quantities of data to enable broad-scale analytics? Do you want to join a rapidly growing and constantly evolving team? Do you enjoy working in a dynamic, cross-functional, and collaborative work environment?
We are seeking a highly analytical and technical individual to help build capabilities in the data operations arm of our newly-formed Competitive Intelligence team. This team’s mission is to use data to illustrate consumer-facing dimensions of the competitive landscape including product selection, velocity, price, merchandising, customer satisfaction and site functionality. This is a unique opportunity to build & manage a massive data asset and enable strategic analysis that rapidly evolves the way in which we understand and respond to our competitors.
If selected, you will help build a first-of-its-kind data asset through large-scale manipulation, management, and automation of billions of rows of data arriving around the clock from myriad sources. The data you assemble and insights you develop in this position will be highly visible to senior management and your peers across the company.
- Professional work experience in a technology, start-up, data warehousing, or other analytical role
- Bachelor’s degree with strong academic performance in a quantitative field; or strong equivalent experience
- Intermediate to advanced SQL experience writing complex queries, user-defined functions, and stored procedures, and tuning query performance
- Support conclusions with analytical evidence using descriptive statistics, basic inferential statistics, and data visualizations
- Attentive to detail with strong quality control, especially in regard to large-scale data changes
- Ability to identify and succinctly summarize roadblocks, constraints, and trade-offs, propose potential solutions, and drive toward resolution
- Intellectually curious, high energy and possess a strong work ethic
Bonus points for…
- Familiarity with data processing using common libraries in the Python data science stack, especially pandas and NumPy (or similar experience using R with an interest in learning to use the Python stack)
- Experience with out-of-core analysis (e.g., Dask)
- Knowledge of data mining and/or machine learning
- Understanding of web technologies (like APIs and HTTP) and popular web formats (like JSON and HTML)
- Experience working with version control, peer code review, and agile sprint-based work streams
What we do:
- Provide confidence for downstream consumers of data by conducting deep dive quantitative analyses on data sets to understand their content, and achieve uniformity across data acquired from varied web sources
- Optimize performance of queries and data transformation processes by leveraging an understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Design methods and algorithms that detect subtle anomalous behavior in the composition or flow of data.
- Investigate and identify the root causes of data corruption and web crawling failures.
- Contribute to data structure conversations from start to finish, including: business requirements elicitation, data model best practices, implementing changes in SQL, gaining DBA support, and backfill/conversion of existing data
Example projects we’re working on:
- Debug web crawlers to discover causes & fixes to corrupted data
- Build time series anomaly alerting to identify issues in streams of incoming data
- Develop a scheme to transform string formats coming from various sources, in varying formats, into a single standard format
- Develop queries to identify duplicate data according to various business rules
- Deduplicate millions to billions of rows of data with performance as a consideration
- Populate an internal dashboard of metrics for technical management; make it hands-off by automating procedures to aggregate the latest results and designing tables to store history
What we offer:
- A unique opportunity to develop a Big Data asset within a data-driven, high-growth company
- A platform to develop a diverse set of skills acquiring, manipulating, and automating a round-the-clock data process
- A collaborative and forward-thinking team that continuously pushes the envelope
- A competitive salary & bonus, and great benefits including: medical, dental, and vision insurance, pension, gym membership discounts, team outings, company-wide social events, snacks, refreshments, and more
- A structured professional development program, including dozens of classes offered throughout the year through learn@work, and a formalized review process
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes - from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $5.2 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended March 31, 2018. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 8,700 people.
Meet Some of Wayfair's Employees
Senior Product Manager
Virginia works to deliver the best in class shipping experiences to help build trust with Wayfair’s customers.
Back to top