Strategic Leader, Category Management
Wayfair is looking for a driven and entrepreneurial leader to build and execute strategy for our high-growth home categories. Category Managers drive the business on the following teams:
- Wayfair Professional
- Wayfair Canada
- Joss & Main
- Birch Lane
We are seeking individuals who understand how to effectively enact change in a fast-paced and rapidly growing company. Due to the high visibility with senior leadership throughout the organization, they should also possess strong senior presence and superb communication skills. You will be responsible for growing sales while improving profitability, including identifying new business opportunities, developing relationships and negotiating with key suppliers on pricing, expanding the catalog, developing a competitive strategy, and leading and developing a team of Category Associates. We believe that through calculated risk taking and creative problem solving, our business will continue to grow at a rapid pace.
This is a great opportunity for those interested in pursuing a General Management career track at Wayfair because you will obtain experience and build skills that will position you to take on senior leadership positions within Wayfair.
This role requires a leader who can align external supplier partners and cross-functional internal teams to advance key business drivers, such as inventory planning, pricing, operational performance, marketing/promotions, and merchandising. You will execute category plans while running the day-to-day business and adding to the larger team’s development.
We love to see applications from high caliber professionals who are looking for the next chapter of their careers, for whom consumer goods are a substantial arena to use the skills they developed in generalist business settings. Please reach out and highlight how your experience can be applied in order help drive the next great e-commerce business.
As a leader within Category Management you will:
- Develop and implement category strategy to achieve revenue and profitability goals
- Build profitable relationships with existing suppliers and execute negotiations to secure best pricing, sales programs, and promotional support
- Advance catalog expansion, including the identification of selection gaps, the prioritization of new item production, and the development of relationships with new, target suppliers
- Collaborate across departments to drive business goals (departments include Promotions & Email Planning, Marketing & Advertising, Site Merchandising, Inventory Planning, Product Management, Supplier Operations, PR, Customer Service, Business Intelligence)
- Analyze data to strategize profit growth opportunities for the category and for specific supplier partners
- Partner closely with senior leaders to develop and enhance the Wayfair brand, site, and competitive positioning
- Analyze competitors’ marketing, selection and pricing and make strategic changes
- Maintain industry expertise; keep tabs on trends and new product ideas
- Lead 1-5 individuals; train, develop and mentor associates and first time managers
- Lead process improvements across the business
- Use technology to enhance business goals / customer experience
- Attend tradeshows to visit key suppliers (4-8 times per year in cities such as New York, NY, High Point, NC and Las Vegas, NV)
You’re a great fit if you have:
- 5+ years relevant experience, preferably in management consulting, ecommerce or retail environment
- An MBA or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated experience building a business or delivering against daring targets & goals in a fast and rapidly evolving environment
- Senior presence; able to clearly and consistently work side-by-side with a broad range of senior leaders and functions to achieve objectives
- Analytical thinking and looks for (and finds) answers in the data
- Persuasive and articulate communication skills with excellent negotiations and relationship-building skills
- The ability to add immediate value– a confident, entrepreneurial self-starter
- Lead and prioritize projects, and to delegate tasks appropriately
- Innovative problem-solving skills – dissect and resolve root causes of problems, and implement solutions
- Experience in business and data analytics, Excel, SQL
- A consistent track record of leadership and taking ownership that leads to exceptional results
- A process oriented, with a tireless focus on quality of output and throughput
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes - from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $5.2 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended March 31, 2018. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 8,700 people.
Meet Some of Wayfair's Employees
Senior Product Manager
Virginia works to deliver the best in class shipping experiences to help build trust with Wayfair’s customers.
Back to top