Staff Engineer, Tooling
Wayfair.com is a leader in the e-commerce space for all things home. The Big Data & Messaging - Tooling team is looking for smart, passionate and curious people who are excited to help us scale, support and engineer our distributed analytic and streaming infrastructure. With the broad reach of the technologies we are using, you will have the opportunity to grow your network and skills by being exposed to new people and ideas who work on a diverse set of cutting-edge technologies. If you are the type of person who is fascinated by engineering extremely large and diverse data sets and if you are passionate about troubleshooting challenging technical problems at a global scale, we should talk.
As a Staff Engineer, you will join one of our core platform teams as a key contributor to our data platform tooling. You will be expected to:
- Develop high quality, automated solutions with a mind to follow best practices in an autonomous environment with talented peers
- Work with senior leadership to architect solutions and ensure that we deliver the right functionality, in a timely manner
- Mentor junior engineers to develop the next generation of Wayfair engineering.
In this hands on role, you’ll build the platform that enables our data science, analysts, and the operations team to succeed in driving the business forward.
What You’ll Do:
- Consult with our internal customers on their requirements, document and build tooling.
- Build specs and test plans and get them approved by stakeholders.
- Build an application management software platform based on microservices and domain defined design (DDD)
- Build automation and/or tools that adhere to the specs.
- Build best in class CI/CD pipelines
- Optimize or fix issues in open source products such as Kafka Connectors, Kafka Mirrormakers, etc for running Wayfair’s production workloads
- Work closely with our Ops team to understand their day to day issues and recommend automated solutions to solve their problems.
- Lead and run Subject Matter Expert programs for Spark, Hive and other platforms to spread the knowledge of our supported platforms to our large and diverse user base.
- Develop, automate transparent, large-scale, data processing systems to drive Wayfair’s business and support internal data science and analytics products.
- Build tools/dashboards to report on important metrics for monitoring our data stores
- Develop and automate large scale, high-performance data processing systems to drive Wayfair’s business and support internal data science and analytics products
- Use tools such as Terraform to deploy infrastructure as code as part of the development lifecycle
- Improve data quality through anomaly detection and by building and working with internal tools to measure data and automatically detect changes
- Partner with data scientists and analysts to scope and develop complex data processing projects
- Monitor, troubleshoot and improve the functioning of our data platform systems to ensure they operate at their peak performance at all times
- Mentor and grow a diverse team of talented data professionals
What You Have:
- Bachelor’s or Masters in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field required with at least five (5) years of software development experience
- Experience designing and deploying high performance systems with reliable monitoring and logging practices
- Experience with a common data processing language, such as Java, Python, or Scala
- Knowledge of query languages, APIs, data pipelines, and how to work with them in practice.
- Strong understanding of distributed systems, data stores, and data modeling.
- A demonstrated passion for working on and empowering organizations through scalable and stable infrastructure.
- Excellent interpersonal and team building skills
- An interest in working hard and being challenged in a fast-paced environment, and having fun while doing it
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.
Back to top