Senior Staff Engineer, Product Recommendations
- Boston, MA
Seeking a Senior Staff Engineer/Architect to join the Ad Tech & Customer Intelligence engineering organization at Wayfair focused on the systems and platforms powering our product recommendations and personalization.
Ad Tech & Customer Intelligence (ATCI) builds products that let Wayfair communicate with new and existing customers effectively across advertising, email, and onsite touchpoints. Wayfair has a huge selection of products and offerings that make shopping for the home easy and exciting. Our goal is to use data-driven strategies to talk to customers about the products they want, regardless of where they are or what stage of their shopping journey they are in. We live at the intersection of product, marketing, data science and technology.
Our product recommendations and personalization platform provides highly leveraged and centralized services that recommend the best products for users across multiple touchpoints. Our recommendations systems leverage Wayfair’s extensive customer and product data to deliver trusted and valuable recommendations in real time using custom machine learning models.
What You'll Do
- Own and drive the technical vision and architecture of our product recommendations platform, dramatically improving its capabilities, scalability, resilience, and time to release.
- Work with leaders across Wayfair to turn vision into a reality.
- Work across the stack on low latency Java web services and scalable data processes using HDFS, Hive, Spark, Kafta, and Airflow.
- Provide high quality contributions to the code base.
- Mentor junior engineers to develop the next generation of technical leaders. Regularly provide training and support for new methods, tools, and patterns.
- Define and represent Wayfair’s engineering brand externally. You will work to represent Wayfair as a technology-leading shop through speaking at conferences, organizing meetups, etc.
What You'll Need
- 10+ years industry experience preferred with at least 8 years of experience driving organizational change through technical leadership.
- Expertise in at least two major languages (preferably Java and Python).
- Experience with big data, streaming technologies and RESTful web services.
- Proven experience solving software scaling challenges - ideally with significant time spent on big data systems.
- Demonstrated ability to make and execute platform level technical decisions.
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills at the senior leadership level.
- An ability to effectively partner with product management.
- A history of effectively mentoring junior developers.
- Awareness of major technical innovations and an ability to weigh the tradeoffs of incorporating them.
- Ability to thrive within a dynamic, fast-paced organization.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and a drive to own a part of our success
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.
Back to top