Senior Software Engineer - Operations Research
The Operations Research team at Wayfair is looking for a software engineer with knowledge of Python and a solid scientific computing or mathematics background to work with us putting our models into production. This may involve working with Python web services, Spark (via PySpark), databases, caching systems, and other technologies. Your responsibilities will include automating large-scale batch processes, maintaining and improving performance of Python/Cython/C++ code, helping define best practices for maintainable code and processes, and working with other engineering teams to define APIs and integrate systems.
What you will NOT be doing is re-writing poorly implemented research code. Our team does not believe in throwing ad-hoc models “over the fence” for others to put into production and maintain. We expect the models we develop will follow good software design practices. To that end, we have an active code review process and take maintainability and quality seriously. However, we’re experts in modeling and mathematical optimization, not software engineering. That’s where you come in: we want you to use your expertise in effectively building reliable systems to expose our work for consumption by a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Architecting a system to support the optimization of delivery routes and schedules to support order-in-cart for large parcel deliveries from our Delivery Agents
- Generating replenishment proposals for hundreds of thousands of products stored in the Wayfair Stocking or Castlegate programs
- Determining the selection of warehouses that will be used to fulfill small parcel orders to drive cost reduction, maintain inventory balance across our network, and increase 1- and 2-day delivery guarantees
- Allowing interactive edits of Supplier Order Proposals and re-optimizing in real-time to respond to constraints and information not available during a batch run
- Generating optimal pick lists and routes for warehouse personnel as they fulfill orders, and optimal positioning of products within a warehouse
- Replacing commercial optimization software that no longer fits Wayfair’s needs or scale
- Strong math background / quantitative skills
- Strong back-end programming ability
- Familiarity with Python programming
- Comfort with agile software development as well as less predictable prototyping / research work
- Proven ability to communicate cross functionally
Bonus points for:
- Expertise in Python programming
- Experience with large-scale distributed, parallel computation
- Experience designing and implementing Flask web services
- Knowledge of Python optimization approaches and technology
- Familiarity with mathematical optimization techniques like linear and integer programming
- Familiarity with Statistics / Probability
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes – from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $4.7 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended December 31, 2017. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 7,700 people.
Meet Some of Wayfair's Employees
Senior Product Manager
Virginia works to deliver the best in class shipping experiences to help build trust with Wayfair’s customers.
Back to top