Senior Product Designer (UX) - Purchase Experience
About the Purchase Experience Team
This position will be directly responsible for leading design efforts for Wayfair’s Purchase Experience team. This team consists of fellow designers, product managers, engineers, and data analysts. You’ll be working as part of a small, focused, fully-resourced and empowered team that operates with the speed and focus of a startup, while benefiting from the resources of an established eCommerce leader.
The Purchase Experience team drives the strategic vision and implementation of the shopping cart, checkout, and receipt experiences for all of Wayfair. We work across platforms (Desktop, mobile web, iOS and Android) and geographies to offer a fast, frictionless experience for tens of millions of consumers. Our team is characterized by our customer-centric focus, our team-based approach to problem solving, and willingness to think long-term.
As a member of Wayfair Design, you’ll join a diverse, multidisciplinary team of world-class designers who are hard at work transforming the experience of shopping for your home. Our design practice is collaborative, data-driven, and fast-paced. We’re looking for a design practitioner who can help us take our experience to the next level, bringing deep expertise in UX design and a strategic mindset for how to scale and differentiate a market-leading e-commerce experience. You should be versed in research methodology and current with design trends.
At Wayfair, we have established our leadership position in the market through a fierce passion for helping users find the best products for their homes. Our success has created a tangible opportunity to shape the future of ecommerce, and your work will have deep and meaningful impact.
- Craft intuitive and shippable product experiences, leveraging Wayfair UX design standards and industry best practices.
- Produce design deliverables utilizing the Sketch app, Invision and/or other prototyping tools:
- Detailed site maps, user flows/task flows, user journeys, page flows, taxonomies/folksonomies, paths to purchase, etc.
- Wireframes, annotations, and prototypes that represent interaction recommendations
- Detailed visuals / mockups
- Lead cross-functional design reviews for all necessary deliverables
User Research Responsibilities
- Evaluate competitor and industry websites to provide a meaningful analysis of the findings
- Prioritize, plan and help conduct user research, including the following techniques: user interviews, usability testing, task analysis, contextual inquiry, card sorting
- Be extremely familiar with user experience design, product management, engineering, and agile development environments and be able to turn complex use cases into intuitive and shippable product experiences
- Oversee, plan, and scope projects for your team of UX Designers.
- Develop and own a design process that enables efficiency/speed and ensures a positive and ever-improving user experience and team culture
- Demonstrate strong leadership and communication skills. Be a thought leader who can take a step back on overarching goals and opportunities, while also acting as a product practitioner who can meticulously work alongside his/her teams with domain knowledge and design prowess
- Ensure that engineering implementation meets design standards.
- Play a leadership role in resolving unclear direction or unknown variables
- The ability to engage in strategy discussions. Weigh tradeoffs between business, technical, and customer contexts.
- Mentoring of designers with less experience to improve their skillset.
- Manage the development of team members through dedicated mentorship, or less formal coaching and advice.
- Recognize the staffing needs of the team, and the ability to recruit and hire new talent.
- Management and oversight of multiple smaller teams. This includes determining how a team will realize a strategy.
- 5+ years of Product Design experience for consumers and consumer brands—a big plus if you have experience in e-commerce
- Communication and presentation skills. The ability to clearly present work, and articulate the rationale for the decisions that led to it
- Facilitation and listening skills. The ability to maintain undivided attention and appreciate interpersonal differences. An openness to opinions that challenge beliefs, and be a willingness to evolve based on new information.
- Project confidence and exhibit swagger. The ability to offer a vision that encourages people to follow, and encourages others to take part.
- The confidence and self-motivation to drive forward projects that will improve our user’s experience
- Expert proficiency in Sketch, Invision, and other design tools.
- Working knowledge of HTML/CSS/JS. Hands-on skills a plus.
- An online portfolio that demonstrates an unfailing advocacy for the user, highlighting: e-commerce design work, mobile design work, analytical decision-making, and strategic thinking.
Interested in learning more about Wayfair’s Product Design team? Check out our Medium: https://medium.com/wayfair-design
Back to top