Senior Engineering Manager - Backend
- Boston, MA
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. We’re the creative
builders solving complex business problems through the newest and most innovative software in e-commerce. From Marketing Engineering and Proprietary Logistics to Development Platforms and Infrastructure Engineering, we leverage open source technology to create our own platforms and engineering tools, and our continuous deployment environment promotes frequent releases to production. We move fast, build to scale, and approach each challenge with agility and creativity.
We are looking for an experienced, full-stack Engineering Leader to join our Supply Chain Engineering’s Optimization and Planning team, that owns the complex, evolving logic that drives a simple purpose: telling a customer when we think we can deliver their order. This is, fundamentally, a prediction. And making that prediction requires synthesizing information from thousands of warehouses, thousands of carriers terminals, and hundreds of thousands of customer locations. And we have to make the prediction in under 10 milliseconds.
The team is looking for people to help our ongoing efforts to scale, including web service traffic (100M requests/day), supply chain data processing in SQL (100M rows/day), and event-driven messaging systems generating searchable predictions for a large catalog (10M products). If you have a background working with complex data structures, distributed systems, and fast iteration in an agile environment- this is the role for you. We are looking for a motivated person who enjoys innovation, and wants to lead and mentor a fast-growing team.
If you have a background working with complex data systems and fast iteration in an agile environment, this is the role for you. We deeply value: curiosity, collaboration, and an eagerness to make an impact on the business.
- Expanded delivery predictions for weekend, same-day, and international carrier networks
- Dynamically routing orders based on optimized inventory replenishment strategies
- Packing algorithms to support product bundling and opportunities for reduced ship costs
What You’ll Do
- Manages team with cross-functional scope including tech leads and managers.
- Builds a strong team with a capable leadership bench through effective hiring, onboarding, retention, and continuous improvement.
- Own roadmap for the team and collaborated with stakeholders on priorities and direction of the space.
- Break down complex initiatives into concrete iterative pieces
- Seek out, define, and evolve best practices within teams area of focus as well as initiatives that raise the standards across the organization.
- Balance the best technical solutions with the long-term needs of the organization.
- Develop and communicate roadmaps to team and stakeholders, promoting transparency in decision-making along the way
- Drive improvements and provide visibility to progress via short feedback loops, data-driven decisions, and customer feedback
What You'll Need
- Experience managing a team of engineering managers
- Mastery leading or managing a team of software engineers and delivery of business impacting applications
- Proficient in cross-functional consensus building and influencing without authority
- Proficient in designing systems at scale
- Proficient in effective troubleshooting and issue resolution techniques
- Proficient in a modern programming language (preferably PHP)
- Proficient in a modern frontend framework (preferably React)
- Proficient in writing SQL queries against a relational database
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry- leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.
Back to top